Magnet schools

My 7 year old daughter is starting a Magnet School in August and I think it's a great oppertunity for her. Are your kids in a Magnet School? Can you share with me what you like about them/ or what you don't like about them?

AlannaMaria

Asked by AlannaMaria at 9:14 AM on May. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids are not in a magnet school. We live in a nice area and the magnet schools are all the way across town in the not so nice areas, which would mean an hour bus ride for my kids. Not enough advantages for me to outweigh the early mornings/late afternoons. My son and daughter are both in AG, so they would have a better chance of getting in to the AG Basics magnet, but we decided not to. However, if that were the area we lived in then yes I would definitely apply to a magnet school.

Answer by missanc at 9:18 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I am excited for her starting a Magnet School. What i like about it is that they learn the same things as a public school but they learn threw music and hands on things, where in regular school it's all threw text book and the kids get bored with that. The magnet school makes learning interesting and all the kids are in involved and they have a lot of fun learning like that. I just think it's going to be a great thing for my daughter and i think she will really enjoy it!
    AlannaMaria

Comment by AlannaMaria (original poster) at 9:30 AM on May. 14, 2011

• My 4th grade year, I was finally accepted to a Science/Technology magnet school. I was put on a waiting list before Kindergarten. I'm not sure how much dues and fees were, but I absolutely loved that school! We did experiments, bird watching, had science fairs, too a train to Abilene, KS (From wichita) to see Eisenhower's home, etc. We visited all kinds of museums, learned a ton hands-on, or seeing first hand. The kids were soooo much nicer than in public school because there wasn't as much competition for attention, as we were all too busy working together!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:00 AM on May. 14, 2011

• What is a Magnet School?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:52 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I guess it depends on the local schools - my kids regular school has tons of hands on stuff (math manipulatives, weekly science experiments, science fairs, field trips to the coast, etc). The main difference in our area is the elective choices when you get to middle and high schools. I hope your daughter has a great year!

Answer by missanc at 11:54 AM on May. 14, 2011