Online Schooling District Wide Question

Is it cheaper for a school to offer online schooling than it is to actually go to school? Our school is currently in financial distress as are all the people in our area, most are elderly and live on social security, others have fixed incomes, the point, they can't afford another tax increase. So, would it be cheaper to offer online schooling to those that can do it, and offer a smaller no grade type of thing for the rest? I saw a question like this on our local news channel feedback and I'm curious to what you all think.

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 9:21 AM on May. 14, 2011 in

• I dont think its a good idea. First if the kids dont have a computer or internet then who would pick up the tab there? Next unemployment would go way up when the schools lay off teachers and employees at the schools. It might be a good short term option, say for summer school, but year round I think it would cause more problems.

Answer by gemgem at 9:24 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Along with what gemgem said, you have to remember that in a lot of households with children, both parents work all day so who is going to see that the kids are actually doing the on-line school work. Yes, young children could be made to do it at daycare, providing the daycare has enough computers to go around or any at all, but what about the kids who are too old for daycare? Who is going to be supervising them and making sure they learn?
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:49 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Well the argument to that was, the kids that have to be in school can go to school...in our area more often than not everyone has a stay at home something or other with them.... I personally don't have an opinion about it yet, I like the fact of online schooling and kids doing it at their own pace, I also like the non grade idea with kids going to school and doing stuff at their own pace, but I also know that it isn't something for everyone. I think I would rather them at least offer online schooling if they decide to redistrict (they will take all of our children in our school district and mix them up and send them to other school districts and completely shut ours down) That was an option on the table..... I would pick home schooling over redistricting.... it's just a mess...
    kitchenwitch78

Comment by kitchenwitch78 (original poster) at 11:10 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I'm not so sure that working at the child's own pace is what this is all about. I know several homeschool families that use the online school program and they spend 6-9 hours per day on the computer every day doing school stuff - and I'm talking about grade school kids. As far as I'm concerned that's just way too much.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:53 PM on May. 14, 2011