Can someone explain the basics of Zionism?

Okay, long story short, I started a business. There is a local coffee shop which my friend does "event planning" for. I've been chatting with her about having some tastings or meetings there. BUT, she hasn't been getting back to me on what they owner wants to charge us for different things...

So in an effort to "cut out the middle man" I figured it would be a good thing to simply contact the owner. She's a few years younger than me but everyone I have ever met talks about what a sweet girl she is. And while I haven't ever met her I know her husband. He and his family were always very nice but were a bit "different" and very very strict Christian, although it seems as if they created their own for the most part.

So, anyways, I sent her a FB invite last night. And she excepted. This morning I log on and see some of her updates and they are all bashing Zionism...

Here was her last update: "Zionism = Racism. Worst kind of close-minded Christians, and the best reason not to go to church."

Now I know she goes to church, because she goes with a friend of mine. BUT, I have to say I'm really turned off by this and even questioning if I want to work with her at this point.

But I know nothing of Zionism, in fact this is the first I've heard of it. And I'm wondering if there could be some reason behind all this bashing or if she's simply someone I should stay clear of.

I don't like to surround myself with religiously biased people and seeing how quite a few of the people I would be inviting in to her coffee shop for my meetings aren't Christian at all, I'm not sure how comfortable I will be with someone who is so openly hateful towards another denomination.

At the moment I'm a little turned off by it all, but I'm hoping (kinda) that this is some kind of "cult" style religion, as that would explain all the anger in her posts...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:38 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends ... there's a political zionism and a religious zionism. The religious zionism is simply the belief that God gave the land of Israel to the Jews and that there is prophecy (which was said to be fulfilled) saying that Jews would get their land back after their expulsion in 70AD. Then there's the political one ... which is racist and doesn't have anything to do with the religion Judaism. There are *some* Jews and Christians who are in favor of it (I believe that most American Christians are ignorant of it) but there are MANY Torah-believing Jews and conservative Christian groups who are against it.

http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/

http://www.christianzionism.org/

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:12 AM on May. 14, 2011

• There is something called ethnic Jews (descendents of the original 12 Tribes of Israel) and religious Jews (those who are members of the Judaism but who are not descendent of the original 12 Tribes of Israel.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:43 PM on May. 14, 2011

• ETA: Not all descendents of the 12 Tribes of Israel are still practicing Jews.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:44 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Well, I just read her profile information and think I got my answer... Her religion is listed as "Bible-Believeing Evangelical Christ-Follower (aka, a terrorist)." I'm thinking she's just angry - hopefully just for the moment...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:20 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Her religion is listed as "Bible-Believeing Evangelical Christ-Follower (aka, a terrorist)."

This is likely a response to the fact that Homeland Security had put out a warning a few years ago about "domestic terrorism" and listen Christians as potential suspects. I doubt this has to do with Zionism.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:23 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Sorry .... I suspect this has NOTHING to do with Zionism
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:25 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I just meant that she seems to be angry about everything... So maybe someone just rubbed her wrong.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:32 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Zionism is a Jewish national movement of rebirth and renewal in the land of Isarael. Today, decades after the actual founding of a Jewish state, Zionism continues to be the guiding nationalist movement of the majority of Jews around the world who believe in, support and identify with the State of Isarel. Zionism, the national aspiration of the Jewish people to a homeland is to the Jewish people what the liberation movements of Africa and Asia have been to their people.

I got that at www.adl.org/durban/zionism.asp
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:33 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I took another look and found this: These are quotes from the site www.erichufschmid.net.
    Zionism thrives on anti-Semitism. They are "useful idiots". Zionists are using the American soldiers as attack dogs. Europeans and Americans are "too mentally defective to take care of themselves and their nations." Our problems are "self-inflicted".
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:49 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Zionism is the belief that Israel is the Jewish homeland.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:25 PM on May. 14, 2011