Crate training..

Okay so we have a new puppy. She is about 9 weeks old (supposedly) and I am trying to crate train her right?
I think she pee's in her kennel though. And It might be big enough for her to have a pee/ eat area..? How do you block it off? I am sure she would chew almost anything up haha!!
And then.. after I take her outside and she doesn't pee.. I bring her back in and put her back in her crate.. but how long before I should take her out again? And retry
bah.. Im so dumb
I have tried to look on the internet but its kinda useless I am not finding the info =/

spitfire06

Asked by spitfire06 at 10:02 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Pets

• I read a manual the other day at a house I clean and it say's to try again in 20 minutes. DO NOT GIVE TREATS... Don't look at the dog either,be the pack leader.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:32 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Do not play with the dog till he or she does what it's suppose to do.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:33 AM on May. 14, 2011

• i took my dog out to potty every 20-30 mins. And when he did go potty outside, i praised him quite a bit. It also helped that i had another dog that was potty trained. My first dog i trained was potty trained in 1 week. The second however, took almost 2 months to be totally potty trained.
    Make sure you have treats in your pocket when you take the dog outside. If he pottied, give him one, and give lots of lovins. Eventually he will understand going outside is a good thing. I would start with a small kennel. My boxer chewed the shit outta everything too. You know the trays under the crates? yea...some how he at a big chuck of the corner off. lol Like i said, start with a small kennel just big enough for him to sleep in. He wont wanna go potty in that. When he wakes up from naps, take him outside. Mornings, before bed and every 30 mins inbetween. If he starts to potty in the house, grab him and take him outside
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 10:37 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I have had young pups have accidents in the crate. Just make sure you clean it out well. Continue with the regular training. A dog will pee in the crate if left in too long, especially 1 as young as 9 weeks.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 11:24 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Don't feel dumb! If you haven't had a puppy or one that young, unless you are given info. then you just won't know. :)
    Having had the pleasure of working with dogs for many years and our newest member being a 6 week puppy, I would suggest that she be taken outside every 30 minutes for the first weeks. Puppies will have (what I like to refer to as) a puppy bladder... unaware of when needing to pee, just happens when it happens. If you stay consistant in taking him out and letting him be out there with you for 5 or so minutes, walking him around. And if he doesn't go pee at that point, then try again in 15 minutes.

If he has started going in his crate then make sure that you completely disenfect the crate so that he can't smell where he was going before. As he gets older you will find that he will be able to hold his bladder for longer and longer periods of time. Stay consistant... you can do it! :)
    jhg374

Answer by jhg374 at 7:37 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Take him out every half hour. I would suggest just getting a smaller kennel for now. They should only have enough room to stand up, turn around and lay down. Give him praise only through words and affection. Treats are a bad idea in potty training. If you can't afford another kennel, I would suggest chicken wire or put aluminum foil on whatever you block it off with. It feels like crap on their teeth so they're unlikely to chew on it.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:27 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Just curious to why you have a 9 week old puppy... They shouldn't be taken from the mother until at least 12 weeks. Crate training is abuse IMO. Please, if you're going to use a crate, DO NOT put tin foil in it, the dog could choke to death on it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:42 PM on May. 14, 2011

• no tin foil no worries O.o and its just big enough for her to lay down. i have a nine week old puppy because she was at a shelter supposedly and she looked like she needed to be rescued .. she is kinda big though..=] so it could have been a lie. ha..and the crate training by me so far is going in her crate if she pees in the house. pretty much.. still abuse Mrs Leftlane?
    spitfire06

Comment by spitfire06 (original poster) at 1:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with crate training. Dogs are DEN animals by nature, and their crate is like their den. They do NOT like to potty in their den. You are doing right by your puppy. Also there is nothing wrong with having a puppy at 9 wks so don't worry about that either. Most breeders send pups to their new homes between 8-12wks...now anything younger than 8wks is a no-no and usually signifies an irresponsible breeder and is illegal in most states.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:55 PM on May. 16, 2011