How can you reconcile a literal interpretation of scripture...

...with the actual history of Christianity and the compilation of the Bible?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 12:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think I'll be of much help with this question because I don't believe the bible was written to be taken so literally .. i think people take it so literally because they don't bother to question and think for themselves. I don't even think most Christians understand the time period it was written in and don't bother to look into it. To them it just simply is the word of God and that is it. I believe the bible is Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth .. like a guide book. When you purchase a guide book on vacation do you go to all the places or just pick out as many as you have time for? do you relive the events that took place or just read the quick version and move on? A bible is a tool to learn not something to memorize and regurgitate.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Could you put this more plainly? Give some examples, maybe? I don't interpret the whole Bible literally because some of it is clearly not meant to be taken literally.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Differences the two different stories of creation, differences in the stories of Jesus within the Bible, the lack of mention of significant incidents in Jesus's life--or events that occured in the Bible--being mentioned in either Roman records or the Talmud (two extremely well kept sources of records), the time line for the authorship and acceptance of the books of the Bible as scripture by the Catholic/Orthodox Church and the extreme debate and compromise involved in accepting some of the books...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• ...The fact that Jesus' life seems to be nonexistent from the time he was 13 till the time he's 30'ish. The fact that he does a lot of teaching, but little of what he says is actually recorded (in the Bible)....
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Differences the two different stories of creation ( in the Bible?)

differences in the stories of Jesus within the Bible ( these were told by different men, from differing perspectives.)

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• the lack of mention of significant incidents in Jesus's life--or events that occured in the Bible--being mentioned in either Roman records or the Talmud  I'm going to tell you this--- my God wouldn't let anything be included unless it is necessary for our salvation. He wouldn't allow anything necessary to be excluded either. These things are accepted by faith, my relationship with my LORD is fact. I KNOW what He has done for me. You can debate the logic of Christianity all you want, but there is something about Jesus that continues to draw people to Him.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• The fact that Jesus' life seems to be nonexistent from the time he was 13 till the time he's 30'ish. The fact that he does a lot of teaching, but little of what he says is actually recorded (in the Bible)...

His acts and teachings couldn't all fit into a book any more than every act I've committed could. His much more so, as He is GOD.

John 21:25~~And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Those who have kept track of my answers know I believe the Second Coming is a thing of history. Taking Scripture literally is something a lot of people have trouble with. I believe the Bible CAN be taken literally. Science and archaelogy keep coming up with things that actually back up the Bible. I also agree with the pp that said the Bible is a guidebook. There is a time element that most people just don't get, but that doesn't mean that we can't learn lessons from the history of it. It shows how God deals with people, and we would do well to understand that.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• rhope4 -- the Preterist's view comes up short when you study the Bible for yourself. Time to God is not as it is to man. Peter said, "But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day" (2 Peter 3:8). "But the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night, in which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up" (vs. 10). Preterists contend for literalism. Honestly, did this literally happen in 70 A.D.?
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I will suggest this website as there just is not enough room here to explain. www.watchmenbiblestudysite.com These are strictly Biblical based studies that will explain the question you are asking. Also I would like to invite you to our group where we discuss these very things Revelation, the End Times and Now. We have many discussions on these very topics you are questioning. The two creation events are because there were two creation events. Genesis is a recreation, not a creation from nothing. God Bless
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 9:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2008