Umbilical cord question....

My baby girl is one week and a day old today.. her belly button has not fell off yet and she has skin peeling at the upper part of her belly button.. is there anything to put on it to have it from getting chapped or peeling more??

hamilcha

Asked by hamilcha at 11:11 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Alcohol swabs, thats what i did with my kidos, it drys it out and helps it fall off, and don't worry it wont burn. i have 3kids and did it with all of them
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 11:17 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I agree with alcohol. Our ped told us to use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol. He said that we should really get in there to clean it, that it doesn't hurt and we shouldn't be afraid.

I know it looks like it is peeling and you are worried, but it is just fine, do not put any kind of lotion on it. The point of the alcohol is to dry it out so the stump will fall off.

Congratulations on your new LO.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:22 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Thank you both.. I cant wait for it to fall off. I was thinking the rubbing alcohol was what was drying her skin out above where her belly btton is going to be so im kind of nervous to do it
    hamilcha

Comment by hamilcha (original poster) at 11:26 AM on May. 14, 2011

• i used a q tip it doesnt leave the lil fibers behind . and you can really get in there with it better to speed things up . good luck and congrats .
    zaylensmom

Answer by zaylensmom at 2:10 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Myself I just left it alone til it came off . But my kids came off within a wk
    sweetsinglemama

Answer by sweetsinglemama at 3:15 PM on May. 14, 2011

• thanks much u guys....:)
    hamilcha

Comment by hamilcha (original poster) at 8:23 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Your supposed to put some stuff on it,lotion I think? Im not sure...Or rubbing alcohol to make it fall off faster or something
    SparkleAndCandy

Answer by SparkleAndCandy at 10:31 PM on May. 14, 2011

• rub pure petroleum jelly ,
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 10:55 AM on May. 15, 2011