Can you list 3 examples

or even ONE example, that gives you any reason to rationally believe that any money gained by an increase in taxes or a decrease in tax breaks would be used to reduce the deficit and NOT used for the creation of new programs or thrown at existing ones? Has there been any budget proposal or executive order in the past 2 years that worked for the purpose or reducing spending on anything?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:20 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope!!!!!!!!! Not one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Why not extend that to the last 10 years? Hell... it'd still be difficult to come up with one if you looked over the last 50 years. Be realistic, Obama isn't the first or only politician and president in our history who spends more money than we've got. That should be considered "normal" now considering how long our gov't has been doing it.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:44 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Be realistic, Obama isn't the first or only politician and president in our history who spends more money than we've got.

But it's this administration that is pushing to increase tax revenues over reducing spending. On the other hand, Bush repeatedly pushed for spending cuts throughout his tenure.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:53 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Anyone who thought we wouldn't see a request to increase tax revenues when the last election came up is naive.

Really, our country is in shit shape. You don't think McCain or any other politician wouldn't be doing the same thing??
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:54 AM on May. 14, 2011

• You've now dodged the question twice. Are you going to answer it or not? This isn't about the increasing revenues, it's about ANY example, even one of reducing spending, something they should be doing whether they increase revenues or not. The point being if they increase tax revenues they are going to WASTE them, unless you have some compelling evidence demonstrating otherwise.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:57 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Really, our country is in shit shape. You don't think McCain or any other politician wouldn't be doing the same thing??

So, your argument for Obama's expensive and failed polices is to revert to McCain?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:59 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I didn't dodge your question the first time, I already answered it in my first response:

"Hell... it'd still be difficult to come up with one if you looked over the last 50 years."

In case you don't understand that, it means that I don't think there are almost any examples of what you're requesting over the last 50 years. Now please address my point, that it doesn't matter who the president is they would've been seeking tax increases and it's ridiculously naive to think otherwise.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 12:01 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Excellent question, NP.... I'm off to enjoy the Alaskan outdoors... Will be curious to see the logic, research, and discussion points presented later this afternoon...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:02 PM on May. 14, 2011

• So, your argument for Obama's expensive and failed polices is to revert to McCain?

**********

I'm not really posing an argument, I think people are completely unrealistic especially those who don't like Obama. And as I stated, I think any politician would have been looking for an increase in taxes, no matter who won the presidential race. I never once stated I agreed with Obama's spending. In fact, I posted in my first response that I'm essentially agreeing with the original question, that there is no example you give, but I'm pointing out that she could go back a lot further than Obama because REALISTICALLY this has been happening for a long time.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 12:03 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Now please address my point, that it doesn't matter who the president is they would've been seeking tax increases and it's ridiculously naive to think otherwise.

I gave you an example of Bush, so obviously there are examples from the last 10 years (which would be included in the past 50). And I also answered your complaint - it's not about increased revenue, it's about how that revenue would be used. McCain (and Bush, and many others, hell, even Clinton) have reduced spending in assorted areas. Obama has never even mentioned it, unless there are examples I'm unaware of, hence the question. Are you really not capable of understanding that it doesn't matter how much tax revenue there is if they throw it all away on pet projects?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:04 PM on May. 14, 2011