How do I keep her safe?

Am I wrong to not want my daughter to watch R rated, Not rated, or PG 13 bloody scarry movies? I found out that at a slumber party they watched one over and over and it was graphic, bloody and they are only 12. How do you stop it if you are not present at the sleep over? My daughter is having 2 girls over tonight for a sleepover and her friend asked her to ask me if she could bring a Chucky movie. I just told my daughter to tell her no that they will be watching 2012. Am I wrong? Would you have done the same?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I was lucky-my daughter chooses not to watch any of that stuff but I do not stop her either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 14, 2011

• Personally we love slasher movies in our house. Especially b-rate cheesy blood n guts flicks. But hey its your kid you do what ya want!! I dont know of any 12 yr olds though that haven't seen those types of movies.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:23 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I don't think what you are saying is wrong, not in the least. I would have to say it's all what you choose to do. My brother raised his kids on those types of films. To me, they are violent and disturbing. That type of film always upset me, leaving me thinking about it days later. Not sure why that is... Anyway, I'd say go with your instincts as a mother. If you say No. Stick to it, even when they visit other homes. Just let the friends and parents know your standings.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:26 AM on May. 14, 2011

• me and my friends loved watching scarey movies when we were that age. im not into them that much anymore. you cant sheild her from everything forever. let her be a kid. theres much more important things to keep her from then scarey movies.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:35 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I really do not see what the big deal is here, censoring what they watch as if they do not get much more exposure in the net?

Answer by older at 11:42 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I think it depends on the kid. I watched a couple scary movies at that age and maybe a little younger, and I had nightmares for weeks. I didn't watch anything like that again until I was in my 20's and it doesn't usually have the same effect on me.

I always felt sorry for the girls whose parents only let them watch Disney Cartoons and G rated movies at 12 or 13. There are lots of things that you need to keep your kiddos safe from, but scary movies generally aren't up there.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:57 AM on May. 14, 2011

• I had the same issues with video games, my son was playing the blood and guts, killing people games at the neighbors house.
    My son is fine with the video games but will not watch the movies.
    My daughter loves scarey movies.
    It all depends on your child.
    I've always feel I should not let kids in my home watch anything not age approp.
    But other sont seem to care, but you don't want to embarass your dd in front of her friends, either.
    How does she feel about watching those movies?
    My advise is to keep communication open and let her talk about the movies. So, there is no taboo issues.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:23 PM on May. 14, 2011

• You won't allow Chucky but you'll allow 2012 for a 12 year old?
    Anonymous

• when i was 12, we watched Jerry McGuire at a sleepover and my mom threw a FIT because of the sex and language. But i remember thinking during her rant, "i've seen it and heard it, so what's the big deal?"
    if you just talk with her and find out what SHE has already been exposed to, then nothing will be a big deal. just keep the communication lines open, and then you'll have a kid who knows what she wants to see or not, and will be a better decision maker in the end.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 1:06 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I watched those types of movies at that age at friends houses, but my parents didn't allow them at our house. Different house, different rules. No big deal. If you don't want your daughter watching those types of movies, you need to speak with her friends parents before you allow her to go over to see what types of videos, tv, etc. will be allowed.

Answer by missanc at 1:39 PM on May. 14, 2011