Tips on Making the Perfect Buttercream Icing/Frosting for Cupcakes

Hi Friends:
I've been attempting to make a creamy, not-too-sweet, but stiff Buttercream frosting/icing. I'm sifting my powdered sugar and using room temperature butter in a Kitchen Aid mixer but NOT getting the stiff frosting/icing I would like to frost cupcakes.

I would greatly appreciate ALL tips on how I can create the frosting/icing the perfect cupcake frosting/icing.
Thanks.

momneedstimeout

Asked by momneedstimeout at 11:21 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Use half crisco/half butter for a stiffer consistancy. I've heard some say they add a pinch of salt or tsp of lemon juice to cut the sweetness a little, but I haven't tried it myself.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:09 PM on May. 14, 2011

• You need more than just butter - when it softens it won't be stiff. Like Kimedbs said, use half Crisco half butter. Also, try getting a small can of meringue powder (Wilton) and following the recipe on there - it's my favorite.
    Anonymous

• Yep try the recipe from the Wilton containers.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 1:08 PM on May. 14, 2011

• All great advise above... I use cold butter or place it in the fridge for a bit before frosting... that stiffens it up perfect for me. Goold luck... I LOVE buttercream frosting ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:47 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Shorting tastes awful and it makes the frosting really soft. It won't hold the stiffness.

Here is how I do it

4 egg whites + 1.5 cups regular sugar (granulated, not powdered)
    Put them in a bowl over a water bath. Heat while whisking just until it is too hot to touch (about 120 degrees F)

Pour the hot egg and sugar mixture into your stand mixer and mix until room temp.

Add butter 1/2 stick at a time until it comes together. I usually use 1.5 to 2 sticks.

It will firm up in the fridge. It has to be at room temp to spread.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:16 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Thanks for all the tips. I've been leary of using shortening because, no offense, but it does sound gross to have lard in frosting. But - then I've wondered what big bakeries use like for wedding cakes and their buttercream frosting.....
    momneedstimeout

Comment by momneedstimeout (original poster) at 9:17 PM on May. 14, 2011