8th Grader Punished After she told on two classmates for having sex.....

8th-Grader Punished After Reporting Students Had Sex On Bus
Posted: 2:26 pm EDT May 13, 2011
Updated: 5:17 pm EDT May 13, 2011

DAYTON, Ohio -- An eighth-grade charter school student who said she saw two classmates having sex on a bus during a group spring break trip is being punished for reporting the incident, her mother said.
The girl, who goes to Dayton View Academy, waited until she got home to tell her mom what she saw. The school is punishing her for not telling chaperons who were on the bus at the time it happened.
"If you tell something on a kid, you have to look for the response from that child and at the time," said Saundra Roundtree, the girl's mother. "She was afraid. I told her 'don't say anything when you are at school. I will handle it.' "
Roundtree said her daughter won't be able to go to her eighth-grade prom or the class picnic. The students who reportedly had sex are being punished as well, but Roundtree feels as though disciplining her daughter sends the wrong message. She added that all eight chaperons were sitting in the front of the bus watching a movie when the incident occurred.
"That says that 'yea you go ahead and tell but you are going to get in trouble for it,' " Roundtree said. "Even if she knew about the act, I feel like the chaperons should have known about it before her."
Roundtree said her daughter, a straight-A student, has been trying on dresses and looking forward to the prom for months.
"I have to tell her today when she comes home and I already know she is going to be very upset," she said talking about telling her daughter of the punishment.
Roundtree said the dress that her daughter was going to wear will go to a kid in her church.
The school released the following statement on the matter:
"The authorities have completed their investigation, and the school has taken appropriate actions inline with our school policies concerning such matters."
News Center 7 has learned that the school suspended the two involved in the act.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/27886932/detail.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss (this is where I got the news story)

Thoughts/opinions????

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 11:28 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• How completely ridiculous!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 14, 2011

• That's ridiculous. The chaperons should be the ones in trouble. What are the point in having chaperons if the kids are having sex in the back of the bus? They obviously weren't doing their job!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:30 AM on May. 14, 2011

• What is this world coming to?
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 11:31 AM on May. 14, 2011

• and they wonder why people do not report bad or dangerous things? This is her reward for doing the right thing?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:32 AM on May. 14, 2011

• What a crock! Those chaperons are the ones who should be punished. How the heck did they think that sitting in the front of the bus was going to keep kids in line? Do they have eyes in the back of their heads? Apparently not!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:32 AM on May. 14, 2011

• School policies make me sick anymore. EVERYONE gets in trouble for EVERYTHING
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:32 AM on May. 14, 2011

• To the girl that told: woohooyou rock

To the chaperones and school officials: badtsk tsk

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:46 AM on May. 14, 2011

• what a great example they are making of her........do the right thing, get in trouble. What the hell? Why were the chaperones not dispersed throughout the bus? It's not her fault, that they failed to do their jobs. Poor girl. I'd raise pure hell if I were her mother.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:56 AM on May. 14, 2011

• but Roundtree feels as though disciplining her daughter sends the wrong message

and she's absolutely correct; it sent the message that if you do the right thing you will get in trouble. this is such BS. the chaperons are the idiots here who weren't paying attention to the kids. how is it that SIX chaperons didn't see this? they are the ones who should be punished, since they were the ADULTS in this situation. that poor girl!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:57 AM on May. 14, 2011

• That s disgusting----first ,that 8th graders were having sex...and on the bus....where people could see them! OMG. And they are too young.
    Then,it is just as annoying that the stupid,self-centered chaperones were watching a movie! DUMB! AND then---the poor little girl who reported it is PUNISHED!!!! What the hell? If I were that Mom,I would be at the school and yelling ...and speaking to each stupid chaperone personally and telling them what idiots they are.
    THEN...I would see the parents of the kids who had sex ON THE BUS!!!! Are they animals? I read something in my Psych101 studies that said human beings cannot perform sex in front of others---that only animals can (such as dogs...) THEY (the textbooks,professor) were wrong I guess because people are turning into animals,obviously. EXAMPLES:Porn, kids on the bus.....YIKES!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:06 PM on May. 14, 2011