17 year old daughter with panic attacks

My 17 year old daughter has severe panic attacks. Especially when things are upsetting her to the point she wants to commit suicide. Yes she does see a therapist and has been hospitalized. She has tried zoloft celexa prozac and paxil. the pazil made things much worse. So now she is back on prozac. Any advice or tips on meds to try or any other suggestions that has helped anyone woulsd be appreciated. I am honestly exhausted emotionaly.

Lola552

Asked by Lola552 at 11:44 AM on May. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I was your DD at 17. I am 31 nowand panic free but it took alot of experimention with the doctor.. I have been on the same medicine ever since. I took zoloft, prozac all of those and they made me worse. The doctor thought it was depression but it turned out that i am bipolar with anxiety. I was 20 when diagnosed. I take celexa(an antidepressant that helps with panic disorder) and lamictal. I also take klonopin at night to stop the racing thoughts. I take the klonopin as well during the day only if I'm having an attack. Panic attacks are serious business and it's hard to understand unless you've been through it. My mother has them as well. Your DD needs to know that breathing and focusing on a peaceful image during the attack is key to getting through it. But, they do end. Sometimes I feel like it will never end, but now i know to tell myself that it will be over soon as long as i take my medicine and breathe. Good luck!!
    kiwismom327

Answer by kiwismom327 at 12:02 PM on May. 14, 2011

• There is a wonderful book called No More Panic, by Clare Weeks; you should be able to find it at your local library.

Your daughter should be in therapy. Taking these drugs without therapy, is like taking pain killers for a broken leg, without getting a cast.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:41 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I feel for her, I was that age and having panic attacks all the time. Has her blood sugar level been checked when she is having a panic attack? I found out that my blood sugar was bottoming out when I had panic attacks. Ive been on paxil for 14 years, and its like crack. When I can't get a hold of my doctor to refill my prescription, say over the weekend, I go into a big panic depression, withdrawls are HELL from paxil.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:00 PM on May. 14, 2011

• chamoile tea works very well with my dd when she very upset!
    MomofJJS

Answer by MomofJJS at 10:52 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Therapy for find her triggers as well as helping her with coping skills are wonderful tools. But may I also suggest Yoga and meditation. I has done wonders in calming my anger and help me from just reacting to situations. I can now be in the moment instead of letting my mind run away with my thoughts. Give it a try
    jeric

Answer by jeric at 10:55 PM on May. 14, 2011

• i agree, find the triggers and work with her on them...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:18 AM on May. 15, 2011

• rkoloms - The OP said that she IS in therapy. Learn to read the entire post.

OP - I think you're doing a great job being supportive of your daughter. Good luck to you and I hope she finds something that works.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:52 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Thank You for the comments and suggestions. She has a appt this week with a phychiatrist ( she sees a regular therapist now) for a opinion on medication. I just pray she finds some relief soon. I don't know how long she can continue like this. I think a proper diagnosis is the key.
    Lola552

Comment by Lola552 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Remember if her current therapist doesn't seem to be working, there is no shame in changing therapists. And yes, a regular psychiatrist is far better because they can both administer therapy AND work with the medications where if you are seeing a therapist with out the psychiatry degree, you are having to use her regular MD for the medication regulation.

Be patient and take a deep breath, hopefully you'll find what your daughter needs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:49 AM on May. 15, 2011

• no advice but just wanted to say I'm sorry this is happening and I hope your daughter finds the help she needs soon. hugs.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:03 PM on May. 15, 2011