How to finally speak my mind to my mom?

My three year old son has autism and his behavior on a scale from 0 to 10 is a 20. I understand his frustration but my mom doesn't. She knows he has autism but she gets mad at me because I don't discipline him (with popping). I refuse to pop my son who has a disability. At school when the kids are misbehaving they use the "RED" chair for time out. Popping is out of the question for me. How can I step up my mom and be respectful at the same time?

dre07_dream10

Asked by dre07_dream10 at 12:50 PM on May. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would send her an e-mail. That way you can look it over, make changes, be polite and all that without being in her face about it.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:51 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I understand. I have an issue with my mom and my autistic son. First, tell your mom that you understand her parenting style was her style, but you are different and do not want to 'pop' your child. You have that right whether or not your child has autism or not. Second, let her know that raising a child with autism is hard enough and that you would like her support, not her constant critcism.
    Second, autism is the reason your child behaves the way he does, but it it NOT an excuse. Understanding your son's frustration is different from allowing it. You need to find out what works for your son. I find that putting favorite toys in time outs work better than putting HIM in time out.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:57 PM on May. 14, 2011

• You are an adult. It's your child and you set the rules for your child. Stand up to her and tell her what you will and willnot tolerate.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:13 PM on May. 14, 2011