14 yr old son smoking in his room

I got on my son cause his room smells like an ashstray...hes 14! I caled him a punk and he called me a bitch! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• First I get him for being so disrespectful. I would take his bedroom door off the hinges. Then I would ground him and take away his tv, cell phone, computer, anything he could possibly enjoy.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:55 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I'd make him keep his door open so he can not smoke in there, take the door off if you have to.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:57 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Where did he get the cigs from? I would find that out.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:58 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Ground him, take everything out of his room, allow him to come out of his room that only has his bed and clothes in it in order to eat meals (required to sit down with family for all meals and hold a decent conversation!), and go to the rest room. ONLY
    inform him of the fact that at 14, it's illegal for him to smoke. both of you could get fined, you could go to jail. and that calling you a bitch isn't going to happen ever again. granted, you shouldn't call him a punk out of frustration, either. i know it's hard, but you have to just keep positive thinking and know that YOU are the PARENT and that's what he needs right now.
    Good luck with this, whatever you decide to do.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 12:58 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I agree with emmyandlisa. I will also question him about where he got the cigarettes from?

dre07_dream10

Answer by dre07_dream10 at 12:59 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Start by not calling him names. You're his mom for cripe's sake.
    And down vote me all you want but it is wrong for a parent to call their child names. My mom has called me a bitch, slut, tramp, whore (mind you I was a virgin at the time) a piece of shit etc and it hurt every time and only made me not like her and want to be out of her house as soon as possible.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:01 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I would really be upset about him being disrespectful and calling you names, and he'd definitely be punished for that. As far as the smoking goes, i smoke and I have kids that smoke so everyone has to deal with that how they feel comfortable.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 1:02 PM on May. 14, 2011

• what do you care about more? that he was smoking or where he was doing it?
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 1:03 PM on May. 14, 2011

• LMAO and the down votes begin.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:04 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Smoking would be secondary to the disrespect he showed, that is something that you have allowed before or else this statement would not have come out, you disrespect him too and you got it thrown right back at you.

Answer by older at 1:04 PM on May. 14, 2011