Children that break their arm..

A couple years ago my then 5yr old daughter fell off her bike and broke both arms in her forearm. I took her to the emergency room where they gave her xrays and set an appt up to have her arm set the following Mon (at the time it was Fri).

She was put under had it set, saw the orthopaedic doctor reg and was in a cast for 8 months. When the doc took the cast off it didnt look right at all! I addressed it with the ortho doc and he said it will take a yr to heal..Nope 2 yrs later she hurts and her arm is still the same. I took her for a 2nd opinion and now the new ortho doc and his PA said the original ortho doc didnt set it right. Would you sue the other doc, or make them pay for new medical expenses?

She now needs to see a doc 2 hours away in Boston to have it reset and pins..how would you mothers react if that were your child?

dolphingoddess

Asked by dolphingoddess at 2:18 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Health

• YES... I WOULD CONTACT AN ATTORNEY.

Im not a litigious person but you may have years and years of issues now.  AND they should have NEVER sent you away for a whole weekend with two broken arms... Im livid for you.

I would a second, third, and forth opinion to see what to do now.  And I would MOST DEFINATELY HIRE AN ATTORNEY.

Anonymous

• Oh man :( :( :( I'd react in loud and unladylike ways. I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 2:19 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I would sue AND make them pay expenses.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:22 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Yes I would certainly contact someone & see what your options are. Your poor child now has a bunch more problems that she didnt need to have & I sure hope that everything goes well she heals the pain goes away forever but only time will tell on what if any lasting affects there may be. So sorry that this has happened to you.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:35 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Im sorry I meant she broke the 2 bones in her forearm, that was my mistake. This all happened on Christmas Day.. Her PCP doc and her ortho said that her growth stems have conjoined. So while her other arm grows with her body the broken one wont, even with surgery. I want her to have the surgery because shes in pain now, I dont want her to have chronic pain later in life. Her arm is completely arched, its horrible. She does have the same mobility as the other one, which I count my blessings for. Then I find out I owe over 5k to the 1st ortho because he didnt take her insurance.
    dolphingoddess

Comment by dolphingoddess (original poster) at 2:34 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Lawyers, lawsuit. They should pay above and beyond the cost of setting the arm correctly.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:29 PM on May. 14, 2011

• oohhh Im getting so mad reading this. First, who on earth makes a child wait 2 days to have a cast put on??? That is ridiculous. If they didnt take your insurance, they should have said so way long ago. I would NOT be paying that dr. diddly squat. Yes, best bet is to get a lawyer.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:31 PM on May. 14, 2011