T-Ball (kind of long and a bit of a vent)

We signed DD up for T-Ball. She's 5 and quite a bit distractable. When we went in to pay the registration, I told the coaches that she will probably spend more time in the outfield running in circles and chewing on the ball than playing. They laughed and said that all kids are like that.

Well, practice starts and DD is doing pretty much exactly what I told them she would. She sits in the outfield and picks grass or rolls around or plays with the dirt of the field. She does hit the ball pretty well and knows to run the bases. She doesn't pay much attention to what is going on...definitely she's not what would be considered an "asset" to the team, but she says she likes playing, so she plays.

She happens to be on a team that won the championship last year, so all returning players are quite good. Even the new players are much better than DD. Or at least they act like they are paying attention better.

This morning was the first game. It lasted 4 innings (quit early because another team was scheduled to play). It was a home game, so the other team was up to bat first. DD was not allowed in the outfield saying there were too many players on the field. Then when it should have been her turn to bat, she couldn't because she wasn't on the field yet. Second turn in the outfield and again, she was not allowed saying there were too many players. Then again when it would have been her turn to bat, she couldn't. Third time in the outfield, they tried to get her to go out and she screamed and cried and wanted me. She was so upset that they wouldn't let her play that it just ruined her entire mood. So of course then she couldn't bat. Fourth time in the outfield I talked her into going, but yet she didn't want to and used the excuse she had to pee to get out of it. Again, not able to bat. Game over.

I know it's a competitive sport and all, but HELLO...it's freaking T-Ball! I know my daughter isn't the best player, but all today did was turn her against the game. If I had a doubt in my mind that they will not do this again to her next time I wouldn't be as upset...they may wait until the last couple of innings to do it instead of the first because I did tell them why she was acting like she was, but I'm betting she'll be pulled out at some point of every game when there's "too many players."

How in the world is she supposed to actually get to the point to be a good player if they don't give her decent playing time? IMO, she should be on that field and as many times up to bat as the best player on the team, not kept out intentionally for 2 straight innings on the first game snowballing it to where she didn't end up playing at all. Again, it's freaking T-Ball...and they were told what she would do and laughed about it...before we paid the $200+ so far for this freaking sport!

Admittedly, I very well may not be seeing straight about this. I see how upset this made my daughter and I'm in that angry mother lion mode that wants to rip apart those that upset her.

Am I right to be upset here or am I completely over-reacting?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 2:22 PM on May. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is only t-ball not competition. Your daughter most definitely should always get her chance at bat and being out in the field. My son is also on t-ball and I have never experienced what you have. T-ball is a learning experience - a place where children need to have fun. Our team rotates so every child gets a chance to bat. You have every right to be upset.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:47 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Coming from a mom of three, all of whom play sports, I think you are over reacting. Are you upset because she didn't start the game? I can see being mad if they were not putting her in at all but when they tried she wouldn't go on the field. It's not the coaches fault that she didn't get to play. In our league you don't bat unless you are on the field. That means 9 kids an inning get to play. If there are 15 kids on each team then someone has to sit out to start. She might have had equal playing time as the best player on the team if she had went out on the field when the coach tried to put her out there. She would have had two innings, just like most of the kids who started the game. If this league is more about winning and not about teaching then I think you need to look into another league. At this age winning shouldn't be the focus. They need to learn the game and learn to love it before winning should be important.
    MamaLori

Answer by MamaLori at 3:27 PM on May. 14, 2011

• WELCOME TO SPORTS!

I would suggest a recreational team and not a competitive team... until she learns the sport.
    IF this is a recreational league then you need to talk to the director about equal playing time.
    Anonymous

• and btw.... $200 is dirt cheap if that is a competitive sport. We pay $2,000 a child for competitive soccer and we have THREE kids!!!

Anonymous

• You told them the truth.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:26 PM on May. 14, 2011

• That is ridiculous. At that age their just learning to play the game. In my town they dodn't even keep score at that age, never mind having championships. I don't think scores are even kept until the kids are 9. (that's when they start with the play off games) My son's team won the championship last yaer but aren't doing as well this year because they don't keep all the same kids on the same team. He has the same coach and some of the same kids but the league wants to move kids are around so the kids can play with other ones. Also, there are 12 or 13 kids on my son's team. Only 9 can be on the field at a time BUT they all are in the battin rotation, even if they were on the bench for an inning.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 2:31 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Does she really want to play?? Sounds to me that there has to be something more interesting for her!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:37 PM on May. 14, 2011

• It's T-Ball. Talk to the coach and tell them you expect your daughter to 'play' as much as the rest of the children. They need to rotate the kids if there are too many players. But remember it is only tball.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:28 PM on May. 14, 2011

• 2 things. She would've gotten a chance to play but she refused.... that's not on coach that's on dd. The other thing.... I purposefully chose soccer as a sport for my ds b/c its a more "active" .... there's more things going on and less "down" ie get distracted time. (LOL)

Personally, I would talk to the coach about maybe next game rotating her in a little earlier and also talk to dd that when you are offered a chance you need to take it. And then sit back and watch.... if issues con. than rethink the team and try a diff. one.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:18 PM on May. 14, 2011

• This might come off harsh, but at 5 years old she should not be picking grass and rolling around the field if she truly wants to play. I don't think she wants to play as much as YOU want her to play. Like another poster, after one season of baseball at that age (and my sons were NEVER rolling around or not paying attention they were actually quite good) I knew it was too slow moving of a sport for them. We promptly did soccer, basketball, and football. Even at 5 you can get a sense of their desirability and yes even at that age it can be competitive. I am just throwing this out too, if the team won the championship last year and they have the majority of the old team, the other kids may not have a whole lot of patience for your daughter's antics. I know even at the age my boys made it clear they did not want to play with girls because every time one was on their team she was doing exactly what you describe.
    mjande4

Answer by mjande4 at 9:05 AM on May. 15, 2011