What do you think of this particular bachelor degree?

I am looking for a good program to earn a degree online. I found one at a great college, and the degree that they offer online is "Bachelor's Degree in University Studies". With this degree you choose 3 concentration areas such as communication, math, human development & family studies, finance, technical communication & rhetoric just to name a few. It seems to me like this may be a good option vs. getting a degree in just 1 area because after college there would be a more broad range of job options and you would have a more broad range of skills and knowledge vs. the typical bachelors degree where you specialize in just one area. Do any of you know anything about this type of degree? What do you think of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on May. 14, 2011 in

• When picking a degree, I would suggest started with a job you would enjoy doing, that earns good money, and that has some opportunities where you want to live, then determine what degree you need to make it happen.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:33 PM on May. 14, 2011

• It sounds good but really a bachelor these days doesn't amount too much when it comes to the job market, my son has one graduating with honors and he could only find a job that pays 10.00 an hour and is part time and no benefits, if you want to make it count got to have a Master or more.

Answer by older at 2:33 PM on May. 14, 2011

• " a bachelor these days doesn't amount too much when it comes to the job market"..... that is just a crazy statement. I was making around 40k a year before my bachelors and i got a job paying 24k a year more right before I graduated.
    To answer your question, I would pick a degree that relates to the job you want to do, not just pick a degree because it sounds good. If you're asking the questions you probably already know the answer. I would say far, far away from a for profit school like Devry, U of phoenix, western international, ect...
    Good luck
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 2:41 PM on May. 14, 2011

• No Mel, it is not a crazy statement, jobs are scares these days, I am talking in this economy, people with PHD's are jobless dear......I know of a few myself......

Answer by older at 2:45 PM on May. 14, 2011

• But older, not all PhD's are jobless. That is why it is very important to look at average wages and opportunity for jobs in your area before choosing a degree.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:49 PM on May. 14, 2011

• do some research and find out what jobs will be in demand. Search the link below for info.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/

Also, be careful about online degrees.  I have heard that a lot of employers do not give them much credibility.  If it is a reputable school with online classes that is a lot better than just an online school.  The degree you mention sounds like too broad a range of courses and not a good concentration in one field.  If they are more closely related like the math, finance, and one other it might work out.  GL!!

whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 3:55 PM on May. 14, 2011

• What is the career path with this degree?

Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 PM on May. 14, 2011

• That degree seems extremely broad and vague.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:09 AM on May. 15, 2011

• WHAT type of job can you get with that type of BA? That's what you need to look into.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:11 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Ok, I've not been in academia in a few years, but I admit I've never heard of this degree. Years ago people would get "general studies" or a generic "liberal arts" degree and most traditional colleges moved away from this for the simple reason that graduate schools and most employers want people to have specialized in something. Now I'm a poster child for the liberal arts and love learning for learnings sake, but the economy has changed. Find out from this institution you are interested in what their graduation rate is, how many graduates with this degree get employed, and what kind of regional accredidations it has. You're better off if it is affiliated with a brick and mortar school. I hope that you're able to make the right decision for you.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:20 PM on May. 16, 2011