Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Would you call CPS?

I volunteer in my county and one of the girls I deal with has a young child. I've heard from someone she lives with that she grabs the child by one arm when she's angry and screams at him when he makes a mess or dirties his diaper. Supposedly she brings lots of men in and out, goes into rages where she punches walls and stuff, and she will just take off leaving her child with grandma for days/weeks. I've never witnessed this myself, but I have seen the grandma yelling at him and grabbing at him. She doesn't really tell him what he does wrong, just that he's bad. I have seen the holes in the doors and walls. I've contacted the head of the program I volunteer with and they are aware, CPS has been involved before but because the mother has mental disorders they dropped the case. I feel so bad for this little boy, when I see him I wish I could just take him home with me. Since I haven't actually witnessed any real abuse or neglect, I'm not sure about calling.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on May. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (10)
  • I have an idea. How about you speak to the Mother & Grandmother & volunteer to watch the child whenever they need help. Then you can see first hand if the child is abused. Then take it from there. I can't see CPS dropping a case because the Mother is mentally ill, just the opposite actually.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:45 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • So just cause she has mental issues they leave her alone?? That is so backwards!! call!!

    Answer by minimo77 at 2:47 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • I would only call if I saw it happen. Just because someone said it dosent mean it can be true.

    Answer by Augusta at 2:55 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • Bump 4 u..

    Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:09 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • if it worries you never know it could be an abusive house. and if she has these kind of issues she doesnt need to be raising a child

    Answer by dramaMama407 at 3:27 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • Yea I would report it. We need more people to fight for those who can't. Even if they give u some dumbass reason like the mother has mental issues I would keep on until this little boy is free from the abuse.

    Answer by LiviandEmmysMom at 3:38 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • If you don't see the abuse you really should not report second hand information. No better way to ruin someone's life than to have their kids taken away for things you think *might* be true.

    Answer by scout_mom at 3:39 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • You should call and report what you have seen and heard. Keep a detailed record of ever communication that involves this family.

    Answer by meooma at 4:22 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • You should call so they can have it on record but they usually can't do anything until something bad happens...or at least thats how it is where I live. =( So sad...I'll be praying.

    Answer by liv4myboys at 5:16 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • call

    Answer by ashes27165 at 7:39 PM on May. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.