Texting and driving ......

Texting and driving - how dangerous do we think it is ? And what are we willing to do about it ?

dukester050128

Asked by dukester050128 at 2:49 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well I think smoking and driving is wrong too.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:52 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Its certainly dangerous & I dont do it personally while I drive neither do I allow anyone who I am driving with do it either. This is something that is hard to prove though I mean what a cop pulls over someone that they think could be texting well they go up to the car ask the person some questions but there is no proof. Unless the person is waving their phone on top of the steering wheel a cop cant see what is going on. In event of accident who is to say for sure someone was texting & it caused the accident? I'm not sure what should be done about it but its not safe.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:53 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I think it is very dangerous. I don't do it.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 2:55 PM on May. 14, 2011

• As of yesterday, officially illegal in Indiana, and it took them long enough to propose it. Should be illegal everywhere. As for proving it, all they need are their phone records. The provider can show every transmission sent and received, text and calls. Even if you can't prove beyond a doubt they were texting, the erratic way people drive (even though they always insist they don't) is clue enough. That combined with a new text coming in within a minute of being pulled over is pretty conclusive. Depending on your phone, also, it shows if texts have been read yet or not. If you have no "new texts" waiting on your phone, but the texts on it all came in while you were on the road, that too is obviousl
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:58 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Very dangerous and where I live texting & talking on the cell phone period is banned finally, so many accidents have happened because of that.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:03 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I'd like to add anything distracting while driving is a bad idea...things can change in a split second. BUMP 4 u...
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:04 PM on May. 14, 2011

• It's wrong. My area has TONS of accidents. And I've heard of two where a person died because someone couldn't just pull over to send an oh so important message and another is paralyzed. However I find it odd to see so many police officers texting while driving and talking on their phones driving when both are against the law in my area. They are all too happy to pull a civilian over for doing the same.My hubby says I should record it while we're driving and send it to a police station. I'm thinking he's right.
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 3:07 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Considering when my father was killed in his car accident by a kid who ran a red light and the kid admitted to looking at a text, I consider it highly dangerous and I want to slap the shit out of anyone I see doing that while driving. The accident happened in Lake County, IN (Merrillville) and the kid did not even get a smack on the wrist because he's a minor. The state is not prosecuting. At all.He got away with murder. This is a HUGE hot button issue for me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:11 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I don't text while I drive, but I do have my kids text for me. I would be more than hacked off if someone tried to say I was texting while driving by pulling my phone records like NP mentioned.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:37 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Yes---texting is illegal while driving here.ANd anything that distracts you from driving and watching the traffic around you is just plain stupid. Last month I was hit by a guy who was reading a piece of paper and he hit the back of MY car then my car hit the car in front.Because he was reading a piece of paper and thinking about finding the phone number of his Doctor's office.
    So, there are many distractions but people think they can still handle driving HA.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:37 PM on May. 14, 2011