Separation of races in cartoons?

watching cartoons with my 2.5 yr dd and noticed that cartoon characters only date some one from there own race/species. Bugs bunny only dates lola bunny, pigs stay with pigs, tweedy bird only with birds...you get the picture. The people around them are only with their race as well. I know it's just cartoons but cartoons are usually the only media that our children watch. We all know it teaches them all kinds of things like and thats why we there is usually an uproar when there are unacceptable lessons or sexual innuendos. Do you think this shows kids to stick to there own race? I also noticed not much diversity on most cartoons, does that bother anyone?
How about the cartoons that are meant towards one race only like little bill, Dora the explorer, Nihoa ki-lan (sp?), is it ok that they leave out all other races completely? I get they are trying to gear it towards a certain audiences or region and they want it to be relatable to them but aren't they teaching the wrong idea by showing kids that they CANT relate to someone outside their race?

Just an observation...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• OP - Older cartoons are a lot more racist than that. MANY of them are banned these days because of how derogatory and racist they were back in the day.

In today's modern time, I just don't agree with it. Such as with Olivia, the pigs are all different colors. Even Olivia's best friend is a darker beige while she is a bright pink. In Sesame Street, which is probably the most well rounded show I can think of, there's plenty of diversity where as well. I can say the same with Yo Gabba Gabba. All of the kids are different races, and I think the robots are meant to sort of mimic race as well. You don't have to play with people that are ONLY identical to you. Gotta read further between the lines, and not make race play such a huge part. Kids get that not everyone has to match, unless you raise them differently.

OP - It's Ni Hao, Kai-Lan (for correct spelling).
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:18 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Charlie Brown had different races and religion if u pay attention.
    Anonymous

• They're cartoons and therefor shouldn't be teaching our kids anything, we should be.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 3:05 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Face it, in nature rabbits don't mate with birds or fish, they mate with other rabbits. These cartoons aren't racists, they are realists.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:33 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I think bugs dating lol and not dating a duck teaches kids to stay within their own species, maybe if more people watched that, we wouldn't have to have laws against sex with animals.Well as Ni How Kai Lan takes place in CHINA, I wouldn't really expect there to be anyone but Chinese people in it (besides her Grandpa is the only other "person" in the show, the rest are animals). I don't know about the other shows, my dd doesn't watch them.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 2:56 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Huge difference between dating outside your race and dating outside your species. Dating outside your species is pretty universally frowned on, sheep jokes notwithstanding. As for race, very few cartoons deal with western society, and those that do, include interracial relationships. The vast majority of cartoons, though, are based on animals or fantasy characters, and coming in second place is anime, where it makes sense that all dating options will be Japanese, because the stories are Japanese.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:02 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Little Bill has friends of different races BTW.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 3:06 PM on May. 14, 2011

• On Rocko's modern life a turtle married a cat and on Spongebob a crab has a whale for a daughter (that might not count because she could be adopted). I don't think it really means or teaches anything. I think people read too much into this kind of stuff.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 3:10 PM on May. 14, 2011

• LOL...if people see sexual images in the clouds or have issues with Shrek....they need a psychatrist and we don't need to pay attention to their hallucninations! Wow...cartoons are just funny,that's all. And yes---Peanuts with Charlie Brown,etc, has more diversity and races. ANd if you read Doonesbury there are all races and groups included in the daily strip. AND I watch Spongebob with my grandsob and there is NOTHNG WRONG with SPongebob. Sheeesh.
    I think the kids will be okay!!!!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:22 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Well as for birds with birds and pigs with pigs...I think it should be that way. There are also some shows that has the little white cartoon boy dating the little black cartoon girl. I think just because a lot of time people date their own race thats how they do it in cartoons as well.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 2:59 PM on May. 14, 2011