I want to make him sit on his bed for the 3o min im frustrated

i was in the garage sweeping i asked my 3yr old please go play in the back yard. he kept trying to open the washer while it was going. i said GET OUT OF THE GARAGE.. he goes right into his room and pulls all the clothes out of his drawers and throws them everywhere. i put him on this bed for time out.. and then goes over and kicks the dogs.. THIS IS not good .. he needs more then a 3min time out and im not for Spanking. help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like your pretty frustrated. Nothing wrong with having him stay in his room for a little bit while you relax!! When your feeling calmer have him help you pick up the clothes and maybe take away the tv or something else that he enjoys for the day. Make sure you explain to him why your doing it and then stick to it!!

Is it nap time yet?!?!?!?!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:20 PM on May. 14, 2011

• If you are doing time out, it should be as long as they are old. So 2yrs - 2 minutes, 3 yrs - 3 minutes, etc.

And maybe he is hungry or needs a nap.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 3:20 PM on May. 14, 2011

• And what is he doing right now while you are here at CM?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 3:21 PM on May. 14, 2011

• he is on his bed? he said sorry i think its time to take a break from cleaning and cafemom and give him some postive attention.. but i will tell him Kicking the dog made me very Sad.. Dont do that again or you will lose a toy.. thank you ladies
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:24 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Ohhhh............I think there is something in the air!!! I just went through a similar thing with my Son. Thank God he went to sleep!!! Hang in there Momma!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:09 PM on May. 14, 2011

• My son used to get SUPER destructive when he'd get mad. Not just throwin the clothes around (though he did that too). I don't think i dealt with it very well, so it wound up escalating into things like markers on the walls, pantry food stamped into the carpet and mixed together, etc. It got SUPER bad.

My advice would be to 1) Don't get upset and pissed off. If he sees how angry it makes you it'll stress him out. This age group lives to please, so upsetting you won't help. He'll feel worthless, like your love is dependant on your mood. Stay calm. 2) make him clean up the messes. 3) Show him how the washer works- how it cleans clothes and helps him have nice things to wear. 4) Have him help you in whatever way possible. Rotating laundry, holding the dust pan, pouring the macaroni into the water... whatever he can do.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 9:26 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I agree, it's time for something more drastic than a 3 minute time out. I would talk with him about how it's mean to hurt animals and take away a favorite toy for a while.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:49 PM on May. 15, 2011