Does anyone know about or have a Beagle/Rat Terrier mix?

One of our local animal rescues has a litter of these.  They are 7 wks old right now...all females.  They are soooooooo cute!  I am trying to convince my husband to get one.  We might go and look at them later today.  I'm trying to get an estimate of the adult weight/height.  I've read that full-grown Beagles weigh 20-23lbs and are 13-15in.  I've also read that full-grown Rat Terriers weigh 12-35lbs & 14-23in (standard), 6-8lbs & 8-14in (mid-sized), or 4-6lbs & below 8in (toy).  I have no idea what size the Rat Terrier parent was though.  Our current smallest dog is 25lbs and 14in and the hubby doesn't want a dog any bigger than that.  I know it is hard to guess weight/height for sure with mixed breed dogs, but doesn't anyone have any examples?

Here are the pups (from the rescue's FB page):

CollinBayleeMom

Asked by CollinBayleeMom at 3:32 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Well I have never had a beagle/rat terrier mix BUT I have had full blodded beagles and full blooded rat terriers. Beagles are medium and rat terriers are small so it would be the right size. I had two each over the years and both were good with children. Both liked to chew the crap out of stuff when they were younger so be prepared for that. I would definitely choose a male since my experience with them was that the males were easier to house train
    I dont know where you got your information on rat terriers but if there was a 35 pound one it would have to been horrifically over fed because my grndpa has had litters and litters of rat terriers and NONE of them were bigger than a housecat. they are small dogs.
    ratties are also fairly good with younger kids likepreschool age and up. they can be a bit nippy when the kids try to carry them around but the beagle in those may tame that out. also beagles HOWL so be prepared
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 4:57 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Hope this helps! I know from a size standpoint this is a good candidate for your family! I am kind of jealous because I kind of want one LOL
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 4:58 PM on May. 14, 2011

• They r sweet!!!! I have beagles and they r sweet!!!! Rat terriers,if they r anything like the Jack Russells,they r wild!!! There is a dog next door to me that is a beagle/pug mix!!! The pug part is wild as hell and it has the body shape of a beagle and height! It looks like from the picture,it looks like the beagle part dominates! They r sweet! I know a few people that have terriers and they r sweet and I know beagles r sweet too!!! I would get one!!! Congrats!!

dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:51 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Hey!!! what state r u from? Just curious.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:52 AM on May. 15, 2011

• We are in MS. This shelter is in Jackson (MS Animal Rescue League). We are not getting one! :( Dh doesn't want to have three dogs in the house. He has a hard enough time with the two we already have in the house...they are 25 & 40lbs, Shelties, so LOTS of hair. He doesn't like dogs in the house, but I refuse to make my dogs live outside. We only live in a 1000 sq ft mobile home so it would be kind of tight with a third mid-sized dog and four humans. Plus, he doesn't want the extra vet & food cost right now. Maybe in a few years...I really want to rescue a puppy from the shelter. Both my Shelties came from a breeder so I feel that rescuing the next pup would be awesome!
    CollinBayleeMom

Comment by CollinBayleeMom (original poster) at 9:09 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Oh,Sorry to hear that it is no. But,rest assured,they r adorable with very nice personalities,they will get adopted!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:41 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My friend OWNS a beagle rat terrier. She is NUTS! Beagles are very difficult to train. I have one. They are hyper, and like to escape. My friends dog is super hyper, really rough player. She uses her teeth. I woulnt suggest her for family with little kids. She precious but definitely not an easy dog to manage. Rat terriers are temperamental as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011