• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my dog to be quiet in the crate?

I have a 1 year Shih Tzu, she has always been really good and quiet in the crate. About a week ago we brought home a Dachshund puppy. We crate the puppy at the same times the Shih Tzu is crate but ever since we brought the puppy home she will not be quiet in the crate. What are some things I can try to get her to be quiet again. I have tried having a relative keep the puppy overnight to see if it was the presence of the puppy, I have tried having the crates in separate rooms and crating them together, none of it has worked.

smurfyangel

Asked by smurfyangel at 3:33 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Dont listen to either of them I have a min pin and he is 1 1/2 yrs old, I crate him if I dont he will pee everywhere. Sometimes he will whine so I put a dark towel over the crate. I dont think your a bad person b/c u crate your dogs.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 7:58 PM on May. 14, 2011

• i under stand crating them on certain circumstance .. i crate my toy poodle when we leave b/c she get into stuff.. STOP harassing her it was just a question?? Ge-sh ppl these days.. i would try putting a blanket over the crate it will seem like its nite and maybe take a nap...?
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 4:32 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I don't understand crating animals unless they are dangerous.
    Anonymous

• Take them out of the crates. They aren't suppose to be caged animals they are suppose to be family pets.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:15 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Puppies are supposed to get into things. That's why we train them. Dogs are supposed to BE trained by the time they are full grown. I agree with the pp ~ get rid of the crates.

When humans are little they aren't left alone for hours at a time or most of the day. Someone is there to care for them, teach them, and keep them safe. Puppies are no different. They don't deserve to be locked in a tiny box any more than a child does. I don't understand people who bring home an animal for the sole purpose of taking it out to play with it every few hours, or only in the evenings. They aren't toys. They are living beings that you take home and either give a good life to ... or not.

Somehow, I doubt that ANYone here would consider even gourmet meals and a spa bathroom as a good life if you spent the rest of your life in a refrigerator crate and were only allowed to look through some metal bars. Most would howl until the door opened.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:14 PM on May. 14, 2011