Are you fearful of your son wanting to do girl things?

Cause it'll make you uncomfortable to be around him or because you're afraid he'll be bullied? Does being afraid of bullies mean you shouldn't be yourself or face the ridicule as it comes?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 3:51 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Depends I guess. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't allow my son to parade around in high school with a full face of makeup, but if you're talking about dance class or something, that's totally up to him.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:52 PM on May. 14, 2011

• No I faced ridicule and a ration of shit for my son having cancer so when they made fun of him wanting one of those easy bake ovens I just laughed.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:54 PM on May. 14, 2011

• my cousins like that he always liked girl dress up wearing girl shoes glitter and hes 10 and still does. He doesnt have friends outside of the family and even the family kids make fun of him idk what i would do. But hes very kind and creative and loves to make thing my kids love him they just laugh and ask why he wears girl flip flops. I tell them because he likes it and to never say that again it could hurt his feelings.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 3:54 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I would never discourage my child from being who she wants to be. If that means her dressing up like a boy cause it makes her more comfortable and makes her feel like herself than dressing up in girls clothes, than I would support her. ANd if other kids thinks she's weird for being different than it's their loss for not wanting to get to know a great person.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 3:56 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Im trying to think of what "girl things" you could be talking about.

Like ballet?  What other things besides wearing dresses and painting your nails are strictly girl things any more.

Anonymous

• No, I don't care what they like or enjoy. My youngest son loves to have his toenails painted, and it doesn't bother me at all.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:58 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I'd be afraid he'd be bullied.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:04 PM on May. 14, 2011

• not at all ... im more afraid of my ds not expressing himself (nothing negative of course) and ig being "girly " is who he really is , then ill support him
    2ninos4me

Answer by 2ninos4me at 4:05 PM on May. 14, 2011

• That's great Julie that you are so supportive and anonymous it's great that people at your dd's high school are so open-minded. I think it's rare to find that among young people because there's so much discouragement coming from the parents. I think todays' media sort of helps reduce the bullying if you ask me. I sometimes think that the news blows things out of proportion because a few teenagers did commit suicide over bullying (sadly), but if you actually go to a high school and spent time there, you might find that it's not as bad as it seems. I've never been able to observe high school behavior myself (now that I'm writing this I'm thinking about it), so I don't know what high schools are like these days, but I'm sure it's not as bad as the news tries to make it.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 4:05 PM on May. 14, 2011

• No, he can be who he wants. We should never give up or deny ourselves of our passions because of bullies. It is to give them even more power to do so.
    TheSugarComa

Answer by TheSugarComa at 4:11 PM on May. 14, 2011