When an uncle passes away in a family isn't it appropriate to be notified within a certain amout of time?

My SO just got a call from his siter today saying that his uncle passed away last Tuesday. Everyone knew but him, even if he didn't get along with his family and he does. I just have never heard of such a thing, she just calles and says the burial is on Wendesday morning.

lmv1970

Asked by lmv1970 at 4:27 PM on May. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• That is a reasonable amount of time I think.
    Anonymous

• Was it an unexpected death? Was he older or have anything wrong? If so then why would your husband not know he was this sick to begin with? If it was sudden well I am sure his children and wife (if he had one) were dealing with the shock of a sudden loss and grieving before calling your husband. Sometimes it is not all about us.
    Anonymous

• Maybe everyone thought they weren't that close and your husband wouldn' care.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:32 PM on May. 14, 2011

• No he wasn't sick, he is the youngest of 6 and all of his brothers and sisters knew. I know it is not always about us but I think that it is common courtesy to at least get a call.
    lmv1970

Comment by lmv1970 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I think that is a long time to not know. I mean, how many people knew and didn't think to tell you? I would hope that it was an oversight, and that people assumed you knew. I know my mother is the one that usually gets the phone call of a death and funeral details and knows it is her responsibility to call all her kids.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:23 PM on May. 14, 2011

• YES, I too would find that very odd. I would think that the siblings would get a call immediately... specially if it was unexpected. And that the siblings (you mil) would call their children VERY soon after that.

Did you husband ask his sister why he was finding out so late?

Anonymous

• r & r

I forgot a couple... sorry.
    Anonymous