Are you offended by someone wishing you a Merry Christmas?

In my opinion, Christ is no longer the center of Christmas. It's become all about the "other things ..i.e. presents,trees, lights, food, etc. I am really tired of all of us trying to appease EVERYBODY and be so P.C. by saying "Happy Holidays". I believe saying Merry Christmas is a general term used in a blanketed manner. It's not meant to offend. What do you think?

etropic1

Asked by etropic1 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Holidays

• I'm an atheist, we celebrate Christmas. Not as a religious holiday but to us it's about family and love. I prefer merry christmas to happy holidays, I don't find it offensive at all.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• If a person does--he shouldn't be celebrating the season. Christmas is the celebration of Jesus Christ and if one doesn't hold to that, one really should wonder why celebrate. I don't have a problem with "atheists" celebrating the season, it just seems a bit odd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• do you know jesus wasnt born in dec....so y is it a big deal. y anyone celb. it.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Seriously some research on the history of Christmas. The feast of the son of isis was celebrated on the 25th of december which was a huge celebration where pagan's exchanged gifts. Since the bible doesn't ever directly say when Jesus was born some Pope long ago declared they celebrate it Dec. 25th to assimilate people into Christianity more easily. Ever burned a Yule log? That's pagan. Light candles in the windows? Pagan. Mistletoe? Holly? Pagan and pagan. Oh, and the Christmas Tree, part of winter solstice celebrations. So, I don't see how atheists celebrating "christmas" is so odd.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Well i'm a christian and christmas is a pagan holiday. It has a lot of pagan roots and personally it could go two ways. A pagan could be offended that you celebrate christmas and make it about christ and a christian could be offended that you don't celebrate christ. I think what should be your main focus is you celebrating christ no matter what day it is and if you want to celebrate on christmas do it. No offense on this but this is kind of why people need to worry about what they are doing more than what others are doing. Notice in the bible it says Why do you see the speck in your neighbour’s eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Basically it means don't be trying to focus on other people and their problems but look at your own and worry about them.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Probably your Jehovahs Witness. They believe that Christ wasn't born on Christmas. Although he was born on the other side of the world. Which would be summer. Right? MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I'm sorry and don't want to argue, but why all the historical/biblical lessons on cafe mom? I just answered a question about how someone could "possibly" serve Wal-mart chicken and a sub for Christmas dinner. I REALLY feel like Christmas is bringing out the ugly in people rather then the good. It would really do your hearts good to do some charity work or donate something to a child that isn't caught up it in the commercialism of this holiday. I am guilty of buying gifts for my family BUT I am also guilty of buying gifts for the kids I see in my neighborhood that need them, Adopting a family and even putting together school outfits and some toys for a teacher at my sons school that is going to Mexico this Christmas to deliver them.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:23 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• "I REALLY feel like Christmas is bringing out the ugly in people rather then the good."

I'd like to second that :D

I say Merry Christmas dammit! And I'm agnostic and so is my boyfriend! The ONLY time that I would feel like a dumbass if I said it is if I mess up and say it to a Jewish person or someone who celebrates Kwanzaa, or one of the other holidays around this time. But how am I supposed to know if they do unless I know the person? Then again, if someone said Happy Hannukah or Happy Kwanzaa to me, I'd smile and say "Thank you!" and go about my day. It wouldn't offend me. So I don't understand why people get offended by friggin Merry Christmas. It's POLITE to say thank you if someone wishes you a happy holiday...no matter what that holiday is.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Christmas was originally a pagan holiday "Winter Solstice' The Pope (I don't remember which one) Picked the day to celebrate Christ birth during that same time to give Christians a reason to celebrate. (Off subject there I know) I do not get offended by someone saying Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa. They aren't trying to push any certain belief on you just wishing you well in the manner they celebrate. I think any religion saying Happy Holidays is probably a little hard to swallow because you want to celebrate in your own way and that includes saying Merry Christmas (or anything else)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I think, in the religion section, we have already seen that regardless of what you call the "winter holiday's" the only real meaning they have is the meaning you give them. So, this is why the Christians can partake in festivities that were clearly Pagan at some point, because their religion says it is okay if it is about Jesus in their hearts. And this is also why Pagans can celebrate Christmas because they know in their hearts that they are not celebrating Jesus' birth. Really, Come on! Why get your panties in a bunch over it? At this point, in our culture, Christmas is a general term....in fact, I think I'm gonna post my thoughts in this section...hold on, let me go get them.....
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 12:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2008