How to tell your daughter to trust in God (but not too much)?

My daughter is in college. Her financial aid is not enough to cover the summer apartment rent fees. Instead, I am sending her money. The months I am trying to cover are for May, June and July. I have May and June paid for.

The issue- I told her to get a job just in case I don't cover everything. She says that God will figure things out, and everything will work out fine. She hasn't gotten a job yet. I got laid off last week and I am currently looking for a job. If I don't get hired soon, I will not have enough to cover her July rent.

How can I tell her that trusting in God does not mean to play dangerous or she'll get bitten (that God doesn't cover for bad judgement)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• How is trusting God for provision bad judgement??? Do you think God is unable/unwilling to provide for her? [anon]
    Do you just sit there at home and wait for things to magically come from God or do you get out and make things happen? THAT is what OP is wanting to tell her daughter. In this case, her daughter should be filling out job applications and trusting that God will help her get the right one ... not sitting at home hoping the money will magically appear. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:14 PM on May. 14, 2011

• There was a flood in a village.
    One man said to everyone, "I'll stay! God will save me!"
    The flood got higher and a boat came and the man in it said "Come on mate, get in!"
    "No" replied the man. "God will save me!"
    The flood got very high now and the man had to stand on the roof of his house.
    A helicopter soon came and the man offered him help.
    "No, God will save me!" he said
    Eventually he died by drowning.
    He got by the gates of heaven and he said to God "Why didn't you save me?"
    God replied, "For goodness sake! I sent a boat and a helicopter. What more do you want?"
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:58 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I would tell her just that: "trusting in God does not mean to play dangerous or she'll get bitten (that God doesn't cover for bad judgement)". That God will provide opportunities, but she has to look for them.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 4:56 PM on May. 14, 2011

• God helps those who help themselves.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:02 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I don't. I tell her she needs to take action for herself. If something is going to work out you have to put some effort into it. Things don't just fall out of the sky.She needs to apply for grants if nothing else. I also agree to let her pay her own way. Sometimes you got to learn the hard way. She is old enough to be responsible for herself.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:04 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Perhaps God will provide her with a good job (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:55 PM on May. 14, 2011

• tell her exactly how you told us. tell her to also pray about it, ask Him for guidance, maybe he'll open a door for her to get a good job. as for now, to me it sounds like she wants to go to school and live without responsibilities, like a job. just do studies and hang...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:00 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Trusting God had nothing to do with making good choices for yourself. Stop giving her money you don't want or can't give, if she has to pay her rent she'll find a job.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:06 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I agree with SpiritedWitch. Tell her that God isn't a genie in the sky.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:23 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Sounds to me your daughter has a lot of faith. She is trusting her creator and that's the best. But as for the situation
    it would be a great help if she got a part-time job at least to help out. Our children have no idea how we
    freak out in situations as this and probably will never know until they them self's are parents. My dear I pray you find
    relief so soon and that things turn out for the best.
    Good Luck...
    Esam

Answer by Esam at 5:06 PM on May. 14, 2011