Laid off again :*-(

I'm laid off again (laid off last week). The area I am staying in is very notorious for a very high unemployment rate. Before this last job (over the state line), I was out of work for nine months. I don't want to go through this again. I am applying to many jobs online, but not getting the immediate results that I'm looking for. Many jobs I have applied for have not responded for over a month- even though I verified that they have received my resume. I'm wanting to find creative ways to network for cities outside of my region, naming out of state, for more opportunity. My daughter is in college, so I don't have children to watch.

Questions
1)How do I network in a city that I do not live in (and I cannot afford traveling expenses)?

2)Would you rather (if you are in serious need for a job & need your own money):
a) live with a trusted person for shelter that has less job opportunities & hope for the best?
b) move into a shelter in a city known for more job rotation and new job creation if it means getting a job with higher pay quicker?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• may i ask where in the country you are?
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 5:12 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I would go where the jobs are if I had to move instantly. Heard this AM that CA and DC are good places for work right now. I am sorry to hear of your layoff. My husband is out of work now too. Have you posted your resume on Linkedin? And I found my two jobs on indeed.com. just ideas............I wish you all the best.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 5:17 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I live in western North Dakota, they estimate that there are currently several thousand job openings in our area with no people to fill them. Due to the flooding not as many RV's have moved in yet, but in about a month you won't be able to find a place to even put up a tent. There are all sorts of jobs available up here, but there is literally nowhere to live. If you're currently not employed you can probably get something through the housing authority, but a lot of employers here won't take someone seriously until they get here. A lot of people will say they'll come up here, but they never do it. If you can handle the physical stress of working a physical job in the oil field then you may be able to find a company that will pay for relocation costs and maybe even housing. But if that's not what you're looking for then you'll have to get up here first. If you have any more questions just PM me.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 12:07 AM on May. 15, 2011

• That is horribal that the work at hom jobs hav not got back to you. I work with a great at home business that I would love to share with you.Message me if you would like find out about  it. 

As for your question it all depends on the person I know you say a person you trust but other things to think of are how long will that person let you stay with them if you can not find a job.

MaryCEOmom

Answer by MaryCEOmom at 9:47 AM on May. 15, 2011

• u can always apply for the military if u arent overweight and have no medical problems... oh yeah and aren't a single parent!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 9:45 AM on May. 16, 2011