Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Flat feet in children?

My son has very flat feet. He is 6. He has always complained occasionally with his feet or legs hurting. Here lately he complains daily and wakes up at night with his feet and legs hurting he is also complaining with his back hurting now. We took him to the doctor and they want me to keep a journal of how often he complains and if he has to have tylenol for it. They also said buy him a shoe with a arch support but he also has wide feet and I cannot find any for flat&wide feet. I also don't want to give him tylenol or motrin every time he complains. We go back to the doctor in 2 weeks. Any advice?


Asked by momkaribg at 5:21 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 13 (947 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (23)
  • I have flat feet, and so does my son. My son's feet are pretty wide too, we tried New Balance sneakers, they seem to have a wide toe area. You can buy an adult arch support and cut it down. Flat feet can be painful. I would give him the Tylenol. You can get much better, custom-fit orthotics for your son made at a podiatrist's office. In fact, I would just see a podiatrist who treats children. Please, don't let your son suffer. It can cause complications. Here's some more information:

    Answer by dwmom2008 at 5:47 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • Flat feet isn't that uncommon for children. The only real concern would be ankle pronation. My youngest has very flat, wide feet, and I get him shoes at Stride Rite. They go up to extra wide and they are very supportive. He doesn't complain of any pain when he wears them. I would try that and see if it helps.

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:42 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • Thank you I will see if I can find a store in my area.

    Comment by momkaribg (original poster) at 5:47 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • I would have him evaluated by a podiatrist. My spouse and I have very flat feet

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • I'd have him looked at by a podiatrist. My DD 11 has flat feet and complained all the time that her feet, ankles, legs and back hurt. Her orthopedic doctor (she had oshkinslater in her knees ) sent us to one. He had her fitted for inserts in her shoes and she has been great ever since.

    Answer by KamiB79 at 8:01 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • He already has been wearing new balance. When we go back I will ask for a referral.

    Comment by momkaribg (original poster) at 10:29 PM on May. 14, 2011

  • i would keep track and go for a referral... i know my girls have the same issue and we ended up at an orthopedic dr for it

    Answer by asil at 12:03 AM on May. 15, 2011

  • They're expensive but Stride Rite shoes are incredible for kids.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 1:48 AM on May. 15, 2011

  • Flat feet are pretty common in younger kids, but at six, I'd be a little more concerned. Try the Stride rite or New Balance, and if that doesn't help, go to a podiatrist.

    Answer by elasmimi at 10:29 AM on May. 15, 2011

  • You may need to get some special inserts for him. Ive also heard great things about New Balance.

    Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:19 PM on May. 15, 2011