What do you think about smoking while breastfeeding?

not at the same time obviously.. or around the kid at all.
what have you heard about it?
do you do it? how much?
did you notice any effects?

ilovemymonsterr

Asked by ilovemymonsterr at 5:35 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If mom is smoking she SHOULD breastfeed. It is much better for a baby who has a smoking mom to be breastfed than formula fed. The protective effects of breastfeeding outweigh the risks of the problems. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that moms who smoke breastfeed their babies!!!! There are ways to minimize the effect to the baby. Great info on smoking and breastfeeding at http://www.llli.org/faq/smoking.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:25 AM on May. 15, 2011

• i just think smoking in general is disgusting and unattractive.. i would never do it around a child,pregnant, breastfeeding, etc.
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 5:37 PM on May. 14, 2011

• well, smoking is stupid. but is better to smoke and breastfeed then formula feed
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:36 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I smoked until I got pregnant, and then I quit cold turkey... it was easy for me bc I had only been a smoker for about a year up until then... but for ppl who have been smoking longer, or smoke more than I did, quitting smoking during pregnancy, or breastfeeding, can cause your body to go through so much, it's WORSE for the baby then just keeping things level.

If I were you I'd smoke an hour before feeding, and drink lots of water afterward. Try to clean out your system so baby doesn't get it in his/hers. I know it's hard to quit (my husband has been a smoker for 10 years and can't seem to knock it) but keep baby away.

Just at tip, too- if you smoke outside and away from baby, that's best. Try to wear the same jacket or sweatshirt or w/e when you go out so only certain clothes smell like smoke. My husband doesn't realize how bad he stinks when he comes back in... and the smell seems to get into EVERYTHING.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 9:52 PM on May. 14, 2011

• well I think smoking is stupid, so smoking while breastfeeding isn't too bright either....
    Anonymous

• I've heard that if it's going to be done, then the feeder should smoke no less than an hour before a feeding.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 5:39 PM on May. 14, 2011

• lighting a fire to a plant and breathing it in to lungs just sounds like a dumb idea to me but why pass the nicotine on to an innocent child? That's just wrong.
    Anonymous

• Smoking and BFing is not a good idea. Quit or use formula. The nicotine can pass into your milk, so why risk it? If you still really wanna breastfeed, I'd look into some safe ways to quit.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:46 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Do not smoke if u are breastfeeding!! I fogot exactly why but something about it gets into your breastmilk and stuff
    SparkleAndCandy

Answer by SparkleAndCandy at 10:25 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Is it safe for a smoker to breastfeed her baby?

http://www.llli.org/faq/smoking.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:26 AM on May. 15, 2011