What is a Management Information Systems degree?

While looking through some of the degrees that colleges offer, I ran across a Management Information Systems degree that is offered by several colleges. I had never heard of this, and can't really figure out what exactly it is even from searching it on the internet. So, I am curious as to what it is. Does anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on May. 14, 2011 in

• Try this--http://www.mymajors.com/management-information-systems-major
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 6:18 PM on May. 14, 2011

• It is an IT (information technologies, or computer science) degree

Answer by rkoloms at 7:30 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Although I do not have this degree (mine is an MLIS) I work in the field. The job description link provided by mikesmom is fairly accurate and describes much of what I do. I work for a very large state agency (in a very large state!) and I am part of the team who plans, budgets, and helps implement technology updates. My current title is systems analyst, but I do more project management than anything else. Before I had this job title, I was responsible for virtual document management for the legal division of another agency. For a MIS degree, expect to take lots of higher maths and programming. It is a marketable degree and will be even more so as more companies utilize cloud computing and the like. If you have any questions, you can pm me.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:29 PM on May. 16, 2011