Isn't it amazing how people can find a way to bash anything?

I recently posted a facebook status about how I was reading "The Hunger Games", which is technically a Young Adult series. I received a comment from someone saying "I don't read silly books designed for teenagers, because I'm an adult!"

I thought about asking him if he'd like a cookie, but didn't. Personally, I've never seen a reason to bash someone's book/movie preferences. Everyone likes different things. Sometimes, I'm in the mood for something "intelligent" or "wordy", like I was when I started reading "Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy. Other times, I just want to escape from the world, and read something solely for entertainment. Nothing wrong with that!

After that, I came onto CM and was looking at other posts people have made about "The Hunger Games" and discovered that other (anonymous) posters said nearly the same thing, patting themselves on the back for being an adult who is "too good" to read something tagged as a YA book. Ridiculous!

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 5:50 PM on May. 14, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I get that response sometimes when I'm reading a YA (or even - gasp! - J!) book.

I tell them some variation of, "Whatever. This is my version of guilty-pleasure TV - I still like the History channel, but I like to watch Survivor, too. This is my version of a cupcake - who doesn't love a salad and steak, but it's great to have a light and fluffy treat. "

With Hunger Games I remember saying to a friend "does that mean you're not going to see the movie with me?"
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:58 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Wow, that is so beyond silly...I read every Harry Potter book made, if I like it then why not read it...my advice...don't worry about what other people say/think...do what you want to do..not everyone is old, boring and stuffy
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:56 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I don't care, the way I look at it I have kids, one day they will be these young adults i am reading about in stories so I'd rather stay updated on "teen" and "young adult" language. it's not my life but it amuses me for the time being.

Yes it is stupid that people bash over everything or blame everyone and everything else for their own problems they caused.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 6:01 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Wow- I LOVE kids' books and read them proudly (I prefer many kids'/young adult books to "adult" books- and I have a degree in literature), but I wouldn't bash either way. That's sad. The world would be dull if we all liked and did the same things.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:00 PM on May. 14, 2011

• That's stupid..I'm a teenager and I read a series of books that are in the independent readers section (ages 12-13). Granted, I think they're a little graphic for that age and think they should go into teens/young adults..but that's going to stop me from reading them if they're in the kids section.
    Uhura

Answer by Uhura at 9:12 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I have never read that series but occasionally if I find a good one I do read books that are considered young adult or teenager books. Everyone has their own preferences so it doesn't really matter what other people think. If you enjoy reading them then that's all that matters. Everyone likes different things.
    twigirl30

Answer by twigirl30 at 5:59 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I see all kinds of stuff on facebook that I roll my eyes at, but I would never post a mean comment about it. I'm sure people roll their eyes at what I post, but as long as they keep it t themselves, I don't care. Everyone has diffeent preferences and parenting techniques and as long as their kid is happy, loved, sheltered and fed, then I don't care. If someone feels the need to put down someone else it is 9/10 due to insecurity.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:04 PM on May. 14, 2011

• IT JUST GOES TO SHOW THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU GRADUATED MOVE OUT AND HAVE KIDS DOESNT MEAN YOURE MATURE I FEEL FOR YA GAL JUST ENJOY YOUR READING TIME THEYRE PROBABLLY JEALOUS THAT THEY DONT HAVE ANYTIME TO GET DRAWN INTO A GOOD BOOK (WHAT WITH ALL THE ADULT STUFF TO DO (LOL )
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 6:10 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Oh, have no fear. I don't change the things I like/do for anyone, much less a facebook "friend" or CM anon.
    DusterMommy

Comment by DusterMommy (original poster) at 5:58 PM on May. 14, 2011

• It's silly. If it's a good book,who cares what section of the bookstore it is in.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 7:09 AM on May. 15, 2011