do you have..

Just wondering do you or a s.o have HPV! What have you learned about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Health

• I am not posting Anon because I have come to terms with my diagnosis YEARS ago. IF there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to message me.

Yes, I have HPV (Genital Warts) and so does my SO. I got it from an ex a long time ago (I was 16) and gave it to my SO before I knew I had it (he and I have had "relations" for years prior to getting into a real relationship).

What I have I learned about it? Well, if you are intimate with yourself, you can know pretty quickly if you are having an outbreak. My doctor was always amazed at how tiny the "warts" were that I went in to be treated for. She ended up giving me a prescription for a cream that would take care of the little buggers with one application.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• She also told me that even though it is a virus, it does not mean that I will have out breaks all the time. She said that the first initial outbreaks may be the only ones that I ever have (I had out breaks for the first 6 months, and have not had any since. It has been 6 years.)

Certain strands can cause Cervical Cancer, and the only way to check for that is with routine pap smears. Other than that it is not harmful, the warts do not hurt, they are just not pretty to look at. You do not want your SO to preform oral on you during an outbreak, as he may get them around his mouth.
    CarolynBarnett

• If you have any other questions, feel free to message me :) Hope I helped.
    CarolynBarnett

• A friend of mine has/had it, she told me that her dr her the particular strain she had would go away on it's on. That it was kind of like the chicken pox, she could still get the other bajillion strains that are out there but that one would never come back. I always wandered if that was right or she was just bs'ing me.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• why like me do i have no signs. and also it seems like everyone finds out after a baby like me..nothing b4 but after fount out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• The only signs of having an outbreak is actually finding a little bump that turns out to be a wart. There really is no other way to tell, and if you are having an outbreak inside of your vagina, then you really have no way of knowing without having an exam.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Being pregnant can weaken your immune system. Possibly you were carrying before and never had an outbreak before the pregnancy. I've heard a lot of mom's say the same thing.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Oh also, men generally do not know that they have it because the most common infection for them is up in their "pee hole" and the warts that show on the outside are usually more flat, and not noticed. This may also have been the case with you, that if it was an outbreak on the outer parts of your vagina (labia or lips) and they were "flat" warts, then you most likely would not have noticed them.

You may have been infected for a long time without knowing it...that is very common. Most people infected don't know that they have it....the stress from pregnancy could have caused the outbreak.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:32 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I am so proud of you Carolyn Barnett. I am glad that there are people like you out there that are willing to help others and not be ashamed of it. I don't know if you believe, but, God bless you for using something bad that happened to you to help someone else instead of hurt them... I wish there were more women out there like you.
    meriahmn

Answer by meriahmn at 1:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• see thats the thing i never had a out break and dh hasnt either it just i got a pap and said it came back post. and for a while i had to get a pap done ever 4 months. now its every 6 or so..
    so if i didnt go in to get bc i wouldnt know i had hpv
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2008