Never though I'd have to ask one of those should I take my child to the doctor question, but here goes.

My 11 month old has had a white to light yellow puss substance leak from her ear for the last 4 days. She eats, sleeps and plays as normal. She doesn't seem to be in pain. She had no fever. She doesn't tug at her ear. It just leaks. What should I do except clean it away when it comes? None of my other kids have had ear infections. Husband thinks that's what it is but we are dumbfounded by the non existence of other symptoms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I had that ear infection a couple months ago. It popped the eardrum and it leaked. It never hurt that badly. But I did start getting dizzy spells, and my hearing was very bad. You want to check because she could have bad hearing with no symptoms (I had no fever- my kids seldom get fevers with ear problems), and if it lasts too long, that's not good- not to mention, if she starts getting dizzy, she won't like it.

That's a strange one- I wouldn't have thought it could happen if it hadn't happened to me. It took 5 weeks till I could hear properly.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:29 PM on May. 14, 2011

• yes.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:51 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Take her. It' s probably an infection.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:55 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Not everyone has the same symptoms for an illness, but yes, I'd call the docs and consult. They may tell you it's nothing to worry about, they may say bring the little one in. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:55 PM on May. 14, 2011

• infection\
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 6:02 PM on May. 14, 2011

• my dd was born with an ear infection, i think,. she ended up with tubes being put in three times -
    she never complained and didn't always have fever.
    about a year ago, I was having dizzy spells - went the dr of a yearly check up and asked about the dizzy spells. Come to find out both my ears were infected. I'd never had an ear infection in my life - until age 34. Mine, is caused by allergies.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 6:17 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I'd take her in. Sounds like an ear infection to me.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 7:57 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Yes, I would take her in before she starts having a lot of pain, ear aches are horrible.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:04 PM on May. 14, 2011

• My 4 year old had an infection last winter and never had any signs of one, we took her in for something else.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:47 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Okay, so I usually recommend natural remedies and taking care of almost everything at home... that being said, you need to get her in.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:50 PM on May. 14, 2011