Oral health. options pleaSE!!

my 3 year old son, who has autism, does not allow me to brush his teeth. Each time we place the tooth brush into his mouth he protest and will not remain still. What works for you?

alejandra559

Asked by alejandra559 at 5:52 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• An electric toothbrush??

chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 5:56 PM on May. 14, 2011

• try giving him a dab of toothpaste on his tongue, and then have him swish with water. Idk if he understands how to swish the water and spit it, but it's worth a shot!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 9:28 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Make it into a GAME that he can participate in. Think of what he likes to do, games he likes, etc. and make it FUN!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:49 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Try getting one of those singing toothbrushes and see if he likes that better.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:46 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I used to let my son brush my teeth while I did his. You have to put your tongue way back in your mouth though, or you will get gagged! Or have him brush the teeth of a stuffed animal? IDK, he doesn't like the feeling. But the more you do it the better it will get. So just start out with 10 seconds, be happy with that, then increase it a little each time. Start by using a very small toothbrush with very little toothpaste on it.

Have you asked other moms with autistic kids who have sensory disorders what works for them? Or are there any other moms at school that you can ask?
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 5:16 PM on May. 15, 2011

• It could be the texture. Try a cloth instead. Also try a social story about clean teeth versus dirty teeth. It could just be an ungrasped concept and not understanding could be the reason for protest. If he is in occupational therapy I may also mention it to them, This is something they could potentially work on to help you with.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:17 PM on May. 15, 2011