How long does hair color last if you get it done in a salon?

I'm debating about getting my hair colored by a professional and would like to know how long it lasts? Is it just as simple as when your roots start to show or only after a certain amount of washes?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 5:56 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• It will fade with time but your roots will need to be touched up between 2 weeks and a month later.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:57 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Salon color is permanent color. It will fade, but you will have to get your roots touched up wayyy before that happens. The color would take several months before being too faded, but your roots would be far more noticeable than the fade. If your hair color is very different from your dye color (like my mom with her more-salt-than-pepper gray that she tries to keep dark brown) your roots will be very glaring and need touching up biweekly. If you just had some close highlights or a subtle dye, you can probably go a little longer between.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 6:34 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Mine has never lasted more than 4 shampoos from a salon, so I refuse to spend that much money on it anymore. I've known a couple of people that had slightly better luck, though. I think my sister's lasts about 4 weeks before it needs a touch up, but she keeps it basically her natural color, just slightly darker or lighter (I think one shade different).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:10 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Not any longer than if you do it yourself.
    Anonymous

• I just get a foil and I can get away with twice a year. I have long layers and I usually do about 3 colors that blend in well with my natural,.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:37 PM on May. 15, 2011

• You can wait until your roots start to show or about every 3 months is the rule
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:58 PM on May. 15, 2011

• if you use color treatment shampoos and conditioners that arent cheapos then usually it stays in about 4 to 6 weeks. depends on the person and the color. i get my roots done almost every 4 weeks.
    MeehlingMommi23

Answer by MeehlingMommi23 at 1:52 AM on May. 16, 2011