Questions for victims of bullying(?)

Questions for the victims:

How old were you when you were bullied?

What was the reason you were bullied? (What made you different compared to the ones who were doing the bullying?)

How often were you harassed?

Did the school/your parents/their parents ever do anything to stop it?

Did your bully ever apologize?

If not, and they came up to you today to apologize would you forgive them?

Do you think the bullying had an affect on you as you got older?

What would be your advice to young kids today who face bullying?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 6:14 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I was bullied from age 10 until I was 20 because of my teeth, glasses, income and skin color. The bullies would verbally attack me everytime they would see me out in public without their parents near. The school wrote the bully up but only after I threatened to fight them in the middle of class.

They never said they were sorry and if I ran into them today I am not sure I would believe they mean it, so no, I would not forgive them.

The bullying for sure had an affect on me growing up I was more withdrawn from people my own age and would rather spend time alone than with people out of fear they were thinking the same thing as the bullies.

I honestly have no good advice..
    Anonymous

• Do you think it makes a difference if the bullying is physical, face to face or on the internet?
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 6:22 PM on May. 14, 2011

• How old were you when you were bullied? middle school

What was the reason you were bullied? (What made you different compared to the ones who were doing the bullying?) I was ;dorky' I was awkward and wore glasses

How often were you harassed?several times a day

Did the school/your parents/their parents ever do anything to stop it? they tried but they couldn't be there ALL the time and lets face it you can't MAKE people be nice. Beside it was the ENTIRE class. I had zero friends.

Did your bully ever apologize? one of them did years down the road.

If not, and they came up to you today to apologize would you forgive them? sure it was years ago.

Do you think the bullying had an affect on you as you got older? of course. It's hard to make friends when it hwas drilled into your head ofr years that you are useless and ugly.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:33 PM on May. 14, 2011

• What would be your advice to young kids today who face bullying? Stand up to them. Let them know that you are who you are and that's all you can ever be so take it or leave it but for love of God's sake shut up! Don't sit back and ignore them. That doesn't make them board it gives them ample opportunity and the less you fight back for who you are the more time you have to think about whether or not they *might* be right... and of course they aren't but if that is all you ever hear... you never hear yourself say anything in your own defense... all you hear is the negative...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:37 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I was bullied by a girl in middle school, I basically got caught up in a group of mean girls and they turned on me. The school did nothing. It turned into a physical confrontation after school which I won, and after that, there was just talk behind my back. My bully dropped out of school. Apology is a moot point in my case. My advice to kids who are being bullied today is to involve adults because I think the bullying is just never ending with cyberstalking and all that shit.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 6:48 PM on May. 14, 2011

• My bully dropped out of school.

===

That just shows who the real loser is right?
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 6:50 PM on May. 14, 2011

• How old were you when you were bullied? 11-14

What was the reason you were bullied? (What made you different compared to the ones who were doing the bullying?) The girl came from a wealthy home and my family was poor. She would comment on my clothes and told me often how she was going to be an attorney and I was going to be a teen mom and live like white trash.

How often were you harassed? daily

Did the school/your parents/their parents ever do anything to stop it? No. I was told to suck it up and that words couldn't hurt me. At the time they were so wrong about that.

Did your bully ever apologize? No. I ran into her when I was helping at a church in my hometown. We were giving food to those in need and we delivered stuff to her home. She took the food said I was probably happy to see her living where she was. I told her I wasn't and hoped things got better for her. She slammed the door in my face.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 6:54 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I was bullied by a friend in the 5th grade. Although it wasn't "normal" bullying, but I thought it quite ironic (didn't know that word then, though). She would tease me to no end about my weight, even though she was several pounds heavier than me.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:27 PM on May. 14, 2011

• How old were you when you were bullied?  First grade through fourth grade

What was the reason you were bullied? (What made you different compared to the ones who were doing the bullying?)  The kid was just a world class A-hole.  No reason but to intimidate me and I was far from the only one he bullied.  I was a bit younger than him as well.

How often were you harassed?  On a weekly basis.

Did the school/your parents/their parents ever do anything to stop it?  No, I was just told to try to avoid him. 

Did your bully ever apologize?  LOL!  No.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:39 PM on May. 14, 2011

• If not, and they came up to you today to apologize would you forgive them?  I forgave him a long time ago, but forgiveness was always more about me than him.  He wouldn't be able to apologize anyhow, he met a very unseemly end which is one of the reasons I believe so strongly in Karma.

Do you think the bullying had an affect on you as you got older?  Not a ton.  Then again, I was never singled out.  He pretty much bullied anyone younger or smaller than him.

What would be your advice to young kids today who face bullying?  I'm not sure I have advise for kids that are already being bullied except to make sure that they do what they can to stand up for themselves and their friends.  Safety in numbers.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:48 PM on May. 14, 2011