How do you increase milk supply?

my milk supply is kind of low, I want to pump milk out so that way I can mix it in with my son's baby food now that he's 6 months, I think it would be better to mix with breastmilk instead of just plain water, but i can barely pump out just 1 oz!! what do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fenugreek
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:16 PM on May. 14, 2011

• how much one can pump is NOT a sign of low supply, just an fyi

Fenugreek or Fennel supplements can help or eating more oats
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:21 PM on May. 14, 2011

• and make sure you are drinking enough water
    hill_star03

• Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:22 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I was told massage your boobs in a circular(I think) motion or put a warm washcloth on your boobs
    SparkleAndCandy

Answer by SparkleAndCandy at 10:21 PM on May. 14, 2011

• drink the mother's milk tea, it can def increase your supply
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:36 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Pump at the same time every day to "place the order". After a few days of pumping at the same time you should see an increase. Pumping first thing in the morning will give you the highest output.
    Your supply is not low, you are making exactly the right amount for your baby. There isn't supposed to be any "extra" to pump out.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:18 AM on May. 15, 2011

• If diapers are good, supply is not low. If you want to pump a little, just pump more often and first thing in the morning is a good time. You don't need to mix milk with baby's food, I'm assuming you're talking about cereal, and if you are, know that cereal is NOT necessary, many moms don't even use it. At 6 months, fruits and veggies are fine, and some good starter foods are banana, avocado and sweet potato, all of which can be purred or in jars, fork mashed (bake the potato first) or cut up into bite size pieces for self feeding (also bake the potato first)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:39 PM on May. 15, 2011

• It works for me to feed the baby first thing in the morning from one breast and pump at the same time from the other breast. (I'll typically get 3-5 oz. from that one pumping session, but I don't know if this is typical or not).

I've heard of a tea called "Mother's Milk" that claims it increases output. Not sure if it works or not though!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:24 PM on May. 15, 2011

• One ounce is a normal pump amount and PLENTY for mixing. I'll take it a step farther... if baby needs the food thinned, it's too early. Google "Baby Led Solids." The method will release you from the pump.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:47 PM on May. 16, 2011