Jar baby bananas vs. homemade banana baby food.

why does the pure bananas in the jar stay a nice ivory color and the homemade 1 turns brown as soon as u make it?

JanetElizabeth

Asked by JanetElizabeth at 6:31 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they add citric acid to the jars and that makes them taste funny imo. I prefered the ugly brown mashed bananas for my kids.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:40 PM on May. 14, 2011

• The only baby food my Son would not ever eat was the bananas. He loves real bananas now though. That banana in a jar was really gross & tasted really weird.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:41 PM on May. 14, 2011

• ON a side not you can mix a little apple orange or pineapple juice in them and make a apple-orange-paineapple/banana puree that looks more appealing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I had really food luck with taking banana's and cutting them into 3rds and freezing them in a plastic bag... then when I needed some I popped them out and thawed them... they were softer after being frozen and they didn't brown as much as when they were fresh.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:34 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I made all my baby food. Bananas was the only one that I always gave to my kids right away when they are fresh. Fresh ripe bananas are easy to serve by just mashing with a fork, no need to make nahead of time,
    TWOpeazINaPOD

Answer by TWOpeazINaPOD at 9:25 PM on May. 14, 2011

• The citric acid in the jar stops it from turning brown. Citric acid is just vitamin C so it's not bad.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:05 AM on May. 15, 2011