Idk where to start, so many questions about my DD.

ok so idk where to even start. I need to know am i being overly strange about this or worring or is it something that needs to be addressed.

OK, my DD is 3 and half. she is red headed and so tiny...lol she has an advanced vocabulary, (so many have said this) she is a leader not a follower. She can identify most letters of the alphbet AND if she doesnt know the letter she knows the sound it makes. she can count to 10 and can identify the numbers. she knows her colors and her shapes. she has caracteristics of being gifted. first question is is she gifted or just advanced??

ok next thoughts, Is she just emotional or does she have some issues to be addressed?? she is VERY emotional, she will cry or whine for no reason, some days from daylight til dark and even will cry in her sleep. she gets mad and screams at her sister and brother or friends when they are playing and ALOT of the time other kids do not want to play with her. she will argue a fact like "your shirt or face is dirty" or you still have food on your plate....she will say NO ITS NOT OR NO I DONT. some days she is never hungry or will only eat a pb and j sandwich. she wll cover her ears when she hears the train or other loud noic unless she has something in her hand. some days she is the sweetest little angel and others she is so emotional no matter how much sleep she has. she knows a friend of mine that has miscarred (well had a twin loss actually) and always talks about that baby or plays like someone is dead or dying.

So doesnt make good eye contact with me alot of the time when talking to her or trying to take her picture. she doesnt seem to see things in the sky like planes or birds or whatever. does she need eyes checked??? sits close to tv or says its too loud.

if u let her alone to play on her own or watch tv she is great unless u get her to do something else then she looses it.

is all this normal behavier or is this something more. there is a history off mental issues in my family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on May. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would get her eyes checked, just because she is old enough. But really she sounds like a fiery little red head. My daughter is very similar. She is also very tiny and red headed!! Just discipline bad behavior, and praise good.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:34 PM on May. 14, 2011

• 1) this actually sounds pretty normal for a child who's parents work with them
    2)this could be normal-or is could be a red flag but I am leaning towards normal for her. Talk to her ped so they can get more details and decided which it is.
    3)It doesn't hurt to mention these things to her ped. An eye adn hearing exam are non-invasive and only take a few min.
    4) Here again it could be just how she reacts with out more details on situations it's hard to tell. Her ped will know all the right questions to ask you to find out if this is a concern or if it is her personality.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:34 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Honestly, she sounds slightly autistic.
    Anonymous

• as far as education goes shes normal (my dd has questionable learning issues so we work together to stay at was kids her age should know on average so she doesnt fall behind and she is at the same stage your dd is at 3 1/2, she also can write some letters, and numbers, and knows my full name and other family members full names.. her speech is not the greatest, she knows a lot of words, uses sentences, but has difficulty with pronunciation.)

as for the emotions.. it could be typical tyrant 3's.. or it could be other issues. .first check how you are reacting to the emotional outbursts and see if in any way you are contributing.. (I know it's hard to evaluate yourself and see, so maybe have a friend sit and watch or a councilor for a day, to see if they notice any issues you could correct) I'm not saying you abuse your child or neglect them in anyway, lol, just sometimes there are different approaches to situtaions that may work
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:16 PM on May. 14, 2011

• better.. then you can always have her see a councilor to see if her emotional outbursts could be mentally related as well.

and anon.. NO she doesn't sound autistic at all.. if she was, you'd notice it in her education. and shes just where she should be.

as for the eyes and hearing, you can get those checked at your ped.

lol first pp.. that is true too about red heads... lol. they can sometimes be little spit fires. ( I was one and my mom tells me this all the time about how I was wild as a kid)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:18 PM on May. 14, 2011

• so im back were i was...lol normal or not?? maybe i should wait tol she is in school and talk to the teachers. i also know that she reacts to things how she sees me react to them
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:44 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Well op I guess where you are is... You need to talk to your ped. Nothing you have mentioned has screamed anything in particular to me. I mean a few of those things *could* be red flags of high functioning Autism but mostly she sounds like a 3 year old girl to me. I have one of each, a child with HFA and a 3 year old girl... There are other red flags and questions to be answered if you want a true evaluation of whether or not she is Nero Typical. I honestly feel like you have nothing to worry about but put your mind to rest and talk to the doctor. Let them give you a questionnaire to fill out and see how she scores. If by some off the wall chance there is a problem to address it's better to start now than wait until she is in school.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:49 PM on May. 14, 2011

• what would be the "red flags?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:33 PM on May. 16, 2011