Cough and cold

My dd got a cold last week then me and my dh got it to. The classic symptoms sneezing, runny nose, headache u get the picture. But then she got a cough, but we didn't. Its real wet sounding, but nothing is coming up. She coughs all night long and when shes taking a nap ect. She runs a slight fever at about 100.5. She doing everything else ok. Torturing the animals, ignoring us, the temper tantums. How long should this cough go on before I take her in? For her its been about a week since she caught the cold. Is there anything I should look out for?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:37 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Do you have something that you can put under her bed to lift her head? I also heard that putting Vicks on your feet will help with coughing at night.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:46 PM on May. 14, 2011

• when she has had the cold and or cough for 2 weeks you should take her in unless her fever gets really high or last 3 days
    VDietrich

Answer by VDietrich at 7:48 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I agree with the pp. It could be an allergy to something outside. I know that our allergies have been awful this year and the weather isn't helping.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 7:55 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I would take her in just to be sure it's just a cold and not allergy issues.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:03 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I would wait and see if it changes - if it gets any worse, I'd take her in the next day. If it doesn't change, I'd wait til the end of the week. If it starts getting better, just watch her...
    Anonymous

• I do not think its allergies, her nasal discharge is yellowish with a hint of green. But I did give her benederyl to see if it would at least help with the sneezing which pisses her off no end! But it didn't really didn't do anything except make her drowsy.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 9:05 PM on May. 14, 2011

• i agree, vicks... a humidifier... if the discharge is yellow/green there is infection, which after 3 days (or less depending on how bad she's feeling) should be taken to a dr for meds
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:01 AM on May. 15, 2011

• If you've tried to help it for two weeks, I'd take her in to see her pediatrician to figure out how to treat it.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:38 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I would take her in if it has been that long. Occasionally my kids get coughs like that, I have given mucinex before or something like that. Vicks on the chest can help a little too.
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 9:57 AM on May. 15, 2011

• If it's gone on that long, I'd take her in just to be safe.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:26 AM on May. 15, 2011