Does this ever make you mad?!

My cousin just got married a few months ago and now has a step son who is 8. She's been dating this guy for about 6 months, and her step son still calls her by her first name, and not "mom". He's just not there yet.

Today she posted a status that says "I just got a compliment as to how well my DS acts in public! I'm a proud momma today!"

Um... you didn't TEACH him that. You might have some SMALL amount of influence, but really? You didn't RAISE him. Sometimes it irritates me when ppl call themselves "moms" when they really haven't dealt with the real hurdles of being a mother. I'd be proud if someone said that to me, sure... but I raised my kids from conception to current age! I feel like she doesn't deserve the credit... at least not yet. You can't jump in at age 8 and take the credit for almost a decade of blood, sweat and tears! She needs a few more years under her belt before she can take credit for his behavior.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on May. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She will learn quickly if the kids are ok with what she is doing. There is potential she may ruin her chance to be a parent down the road. Ive been a step mom for 10 years. Going into it I figured that they would call me what they felt comfortable calling me. It was never mom and I was fine with it. I knew i would have push them away if i pushed the mom title. I am a parent to my step kids, never mom and your cousin should not expect anything more and even the title parent is something you earn. SHe is over stepping her boundaries and she will be put in her place if not by you then by the kid!

Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 2:42 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Until she has put in the time she won't see how little mothering she's actually done. I understand where you are coming from, but your cousin won't.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:27 PM on May. 14, 2011

• agree with scout_mom.
    she is also wanting to feel more like a mom & its more of a wishing thing you know..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:16 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Yah, that would annoy me too!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:16 PM on May. 14, 2011

• The person who is probably REALLY annoyed would be the boy's birth mother! But don't let yourself be too irritated by it. She's probably still in the "honeymoon" phase of her relationship with her new husband and stepson... especially if the stepson lives with his birth mother most of the time. Its probably still just very exciting for her to "try on" the role of being a mother!
    NickiKidsOnGo

Answer by NickiKidsOnGo at 7:22 PM on May. 15, 2011