How healthy are rice and beans?

So my dh was laid off a while a go and we are still waiting for the severance package to arrive. He has filed for unemployment, but it will be a few more weeks until we see any money from that.
We have lots of food in the freezer, but I am trying to conserve the meat we have so that it will last a while longer. So this week we have eaten 4 or 5 meals of rice and beans. Different dishes, but still rice and beans. We only eat brown rice and the beans are all cooked by me from dried. We have had black, pinto and white beans.

So what do you think? Can we survive a while longer on beans and rice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You can survive on it for a long time. Humans are omnivores (eating both plant life and animal life), but we originally got our meals through hunting and gathering rather than agriculture. We would have been able to find more food items through gathering than through hunting, so meat would have been in our daily diets more sparingly than plants.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 9:10 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Beans are good for you, so is rice as long as it's brown rice. It is healthy enough, as long as your not tired of it.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:35 PM on May. 14, 2011

• beans are really healthy, great protien, fiber, etc. rice is not my fav. but it's filling lol. it sounds good to me
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:44 PM on May. 14, 2011

• You're probably a lot healthier than my family. Brown rice with beans has all sorts of good stuff, and pretty much nothing bad. Good job! I hope things get a lot easier for you soon.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:51 PM on May. 14, 2011

• As long as there is some fruit and fresh veggies in the mix, you are eating very health.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 8:36 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I agree with PP, just add in some fruit and veggies and dairy and you're good. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:38 PM on May. 14, 2011

• sounds yummy! lol ive been wanting some r&b for some odd reason.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:13 PM on May. 14, 2011

• actually saw on Dr. Oz this week that black beans and rice make a complete healthy protein!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:18 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I am serving plenty of veggies too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:37 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Meat is unnecessary. Try dried lentils, too. Let me know if you would like some awesome meatless recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 6:33 PM on May. 15, 2011