Soother...yes or no?

How many of you DON'T use a soother? I haven't used one, from it being in the family not to use one, but I haven't had any issues yet and he's 5 months December 14th. I got really lucky. I don't knock anyone that does, I never would knock a choice a mother makes for their child. Just wondering how many Mom's don't use them.

Lizamafers

Asked by Lizamafers at 1:33 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• O.o I don't even know what a soother is! lol, so I guess no, I don't use it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:37 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• LOL Soother=Pacifier?
    Lizamafers

Answer by Lizamafers at 1:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Ah ha! lol, yes I use a pacifier. We call it a Binkie, hehe.

I was against it at first, and she did not get one for the first 3 weeks. She was breast feeding and i did not see a reason to soil her with plastic things. But when she started trying to suck her thumb, I remembered that all the kids in my family (sister and cousins) excluding me have had to have braces do to excessive thumb sucking. So I started giving her the pacifier to deter from thumb sucking...my logic is that I can take the binkie away to ween her....I can not remove her thumb!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• my twins didnt use one thanfully. they were also easy to break from the bottle. they dont carry anything with them..at night they have to have their blankets thats it..one of my boys also shves the covers in his mouth
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• yes i used one so my son wuldnt suck his thumb and its time to get him off of it and i'm not sure how cause its kinda like his security blanket or well pacifyer
    MiAmorJ.EX2

Answer by MiAmorJ.EX2 at 1:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I heard thumb sucking could be bad. That's what I meant when I said I got lucky, he doesn't put his thumb any where near his mouth . Wow twins and no Pacifier?
    Lizamafers

Answer by Lizamafers at 2:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I call my son's Soothie pacifier a ninnie hehe! The doc said its ok to use until 6 months. But lately he hasn't really needed it. He's 3 months now... He finds comfort in his teddy bear now, which I think is cute. My friend's 1 year old still has pacifiers, I think that's a little much, especially since it supposedly messes up oral development i.e. crooked teeth, etc...
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 6:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• We used one (the Soothie) until Christian grew out of it.... he decided at 4 months old that he didn't want a binky anymore and choose to suck his thumb instead.... I would rather him suck the binky....
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 8:23 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Wow thanks guys for all your imput :-) Like I said it was just me wondering :-DDD
    Lizamafers

Answer by Lizamafers at 1:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I didnt want Abbi to have one but gave in when she had a dry mouth before my milk came in and she had pretty much given it up now. She is 4 months old and RARELY wants it! THANK GOD she sucks on her hands but does not go for her thumb, she would rather suck on a bottle if anything.,,,,,,,guess thats how I got a 4 month old that is 20 lbs!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though she is not eating more than normal for her age!
    amberlinn

Answer by amberlinn at 8:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2008