Question about the Trinity... and Jesus' divinity

My question came about because of reading this quote from someones answer to another question "Jesus was the Son of God....he was not God..."

I thought the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit were all aspects of God - one in heaven, one on earth and one in the spirit world. So how can Jesus not be a God then?? Would he be called a Demi-God then?

(please play nice - I'm asking this question in ernest. Thank you)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Those that believe in the Trinity would believe that Jesus IS God, but Jesus is not the Father or the Holy Spirit. They are of the same essence.

Those that are Unitarian, might see Jesus as a prophet or teacher, but they are usually strictly monotheistic. I don't know about all, but most would not believe in the divinity of Jesus (or in some cases they might see him as the Son of God, but not God himself).

It's confusing, because different denominations believe different things, but the Trinity is a common belief in most of the mainline churches.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:28 PM on May. 14, 2011

• then she went on to say this..........
    "Actually,I think he was a wise man who was elevated to something more a few hundred years after his death."

so i really don't think she believes in christianity at all. so if you believe in the holy trinity, you believe that god, jesus and the holy spirit are three seperate things and one at the same time. some people believe in the holy trinity, some don't, but i don't think the quote you're thinking of is not a statement against the trinity so much as a statement against christianity in itself.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:07 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Personally, I don't believe in the Trinity or Jesus' divinity, and find some flaws in the trinitarian doctrine. Some Christians are trinitarian, while others are unitarian or see all three as separate divine entities. Those that do believe in the Trinity believe in ONE God in THREE persons--where the essence or nature of each are the same (as opposed to a triad where each deity is distinct). Most Christians view it this way and see themselves as monotheistic, but some believe they are really henotheistic.

The Shield of the Trinity below:

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:21 PM on May. 14, 2011

• so if you believe in the holy trinity, you believe that god, Jesus and the holy spirit are three separate things and one at the same time.

It really isn't about the rest of what anyone said - this statement alone that made me think to ask this question for my own curiosity. I am neither for or against Christianity personally. Nor am I trying to slander anyone or any religion. I have always wondered this, just kept forgetting to ask. 

To me, the way I see it, is if they  are all part of God, that makes Jesus a god as well. How can you be part of God and not be a god yourself, or at least a Demi-god??

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:21 PM on May. 14, 2011

• awesome answer pam, Thank you. I am going to have to digest that for a few minutes.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:24 PM on May. 14, 2011

• You're welcome! This link might be helpful as well. It has a little bit about the history of the Trinity, arguments in favor and against, etc.

Religion Facts: Doctrine of the Trinity
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:35 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Again... thank you!! That's a better explanation then I hoped for. Really gives me something to think about. Much appreciated!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:34 PM on May. 14, 2011