On a house plant do I remove the brown part of it?

Well I did this and it turned browner on the small palm tree I have I trimmed the tips offend now they are brown too.
What can I do to keep it growing and looking green and happy?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Home & Garden

• you can trim off the dead tips of a palm tree. you need to find out why it's turning brown....do you wait until it's dry to water it (if you do that's good....don't overwater it or leave it standing in water)......... is it by an air conditioning/heating vent? (that was the cause of my problem and it took me forever to figure that one out lol).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:29 PM on May. 14, 2011

• just trim the dead part. im not a plant person, so im not too sure.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 9:59 PM on May. 14, 2011

• no idea, sorry
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:10 AM on May. 15, 2011

• Find out first what's making it turn brown. You might have to replant in a different planter.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:59 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I'd contact yor local nursery and ask them.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 5:23 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I have never kept anything green and happy.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:07 AM on May. 15, 2011

• First, like others said, it's turning brown for a reason. Second, you don't trim it completely off, you have to leave a tiny edge of brown on it, because if you don't it will turn brown again. There's no way to repair the leaves that are already brown, either. As long as the new growth is green and pretty, I wouldn't worry too much. The browning edges could be a number of things- really hard to know without knowing what your plant is exactly, and what your growing conditions are.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:05 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Do you have the pot sitting in a base that catches water when you water it? If you do have this, you need to remove it. It is bad to have the plant sitting in water, it will kill the plant. If you are in doubt and you are able, you can take it to a local nursery and they will give you advice. If you are not able to take it with you, maybe you can take a picture of it and take it up to them. Good luck to you.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:24 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I have black thumbs!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:19 PM on May. 16, 2011

• yeah, trim off the dead pieces.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:13 PM on May. 18, 2011