If a piece of paper isnt important.....**edit**

I am just curious what the mama's out there think....If the piece of paper (marriage certificate) isnt a big deal and does not make your love with your spouse any more or less valid then whats the big deal in just getting it anyways?

I'm not looking for a debate....well you can debate with each other just please don't debate with ME lol...I'm just asking out of pure curiosity. I'm not saying that one way is better then the other. I am only asking a question =)

Thanx Ladies

**Don't know where to put this so I'll stick it in Relationships**

Real quick clear up...I'm married and I know the benefits that marriage entitles you to...I would like to know...for the ladies who feel it's "just a piece of paper" then why not just get it anyways if it doesnt matter to you one way or the other

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 10:03 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• from experience those that say it's just a paper or the "I don't wanna ruin a good thing by a piece of paper" knowthere are issues in their relationship and that piece of paper will become a living nightmare down the road if they divorce They want an easy escape basically if it turns to crap.
    reasons why they might have that opinion are because while they may love the person they are with, the relationship can be rocky at times (above average rocky, lol)... or the person may have been married before and KNOWS how much of a nightmare divorce can be and avoids it by just not marrying at all... and then there are the few that do it because while marriage offer some benefits, they may be getting more from remaining single.. because they can claim their SO as a roomate instead. (thus they both can receive financial assistance).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:55 PM on May. 14, 2011

• The paper is a symbol (like the rings) of the vow. And it makes things easier when you get insurance :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:06 PM on May. 14, 2011

• to me it's a legal way of stating what you already have decided in your hearts.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:08 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Well that "piece of paper" has made it possible for me to have health insurance/dental insurance for the past 20 years, our children are legitimate, and if we ever separate it entitles me to half of everything. It my hubs passes away that 'piece of paper' will provide for me as I would be able to collect on his social security, work pensions and his 401k.
    Anonymous

• Marriage comes with benefits. Their are a lot of things you get because you are married.. I/We got married because if we did not me and my kids would not have got Military benefits. Or be able to travel with him.

Answer by louise2 at 10:09 PM on May. 14, 2011

• To me, it was a commitment. It was "our" commitment to each other. I dated a lot of guys and always knew this was what I wanted.. nothing less.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:10 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't love my BF any more or less if we had a marriage certificate. We have been together for 16 years, have 2 kids and are in no rush to get married. I don't have a problem with it and neither does he. Things work the way they are, why fix something if it is not broke?
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 10:08 PM on May. 14, 2011

• The certificate entitles you to over 1,000. benefits that you would otherwise not get, it protects you legally also.

Answer by older at 10:11 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Fear that it will fall apart if anything changes!?
    Anonymous

• For me the paper is a symbol of the commitment that my husband and I made to each other. Living with someone is casual, no big deal, no commitment.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:50 PM on May. 14, 2011