How often did they 'check' you?

I'm pregnant with my third baby and the only time they have checked me was the pap I had at the very beginning of this pregnancy, and I'm now 32 weeks. With my other 2 kids it seems like I was checked a LOT more. Is this normal to not be checked for this long? When will they start checking my cervix and everything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Totally normal. I don't think I had a cervical check till 36 weeks, but there was no issue with me. My 2nd, I had false labour and they did check me whenever that was (32 weeks?) Perhaps they were worried you'd go into labor early? Last pregnancy, there was no check till 38 or 39 weeks. Some time in 36-38 weeks is standard for your first check (apart from pap smear) but some doctors- and especially midwives- don't do them at all, as far as I know.

I'd definitely ask though. Doctors- especially the OBs I had in my first practice- seem to never tell you what to expect now and in the future, and why they do or don't do it. Drives me nuts!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:51 PM on May. 14, 2011

• With my pregnancies: never.

Do you want to be checked?
    If so, why?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:02 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I got checked for the first time this pregnancy at 38 weeks. My last pregnancy I think they did check earlier, but not more than 36 weeks. I think it may depend on the provider. My provider actually asked if I wanted to be checked, they don't insist upon it.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 1:28 AM on May. 15, 2011

• i think they regularly start at 35-36 weeks - i don't know for sure since i had pre-term labor and was checked earlier and more often.
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 1:35 AM on May. 15, 2011

• LOL I asked almost this same exact question a few weeks ago. I thought that they checked me very often when I was pregnant with my son and I had only just had my pap smear in the very beginning of this pregnancy. Most of my answers were telling me that they don't typically examine you until around 36 or 37 weeks. And it's true! lol When I hit my 36 week mark and started being seen weekly, my doctors started examining me every visit. Don't worry. It must be normal to worry about stuff like this, I know I did! lol Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 4:59 AM on May. 15, 2011

• tiffany, it's also good to ponder *why* you are worried, too.
    This is invasive and unnecessary so it's important to listen to instinct and question the Point.
    Why do it??
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:55 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I haven been checked yet and Im 33 weeeks..
    minirip

Answer by minirip at 7:46 PM on May. 15, 2011