Cloth diapers???

So I'm thinking about using cloth diapers with my daughter that is due in 5 weeks. I need pro's and con's and Mommies favorite brands. Thanks ladies :)

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 10:22 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have a handful of thirsties covers and I like them a lot. I wanted the 2 in one, instead of the kind you stuff with a liner, but theyre costly so i went with covers and pads. I couldnt' afford the bamboo pads which are the best kind, so i bought the gerber ones at walmart. i couldn't afford enough to make it through the day with my twins. plus then I tried to keep the wet stuff in a bag in the laundry room to wash once a night but i share the laundry room with my parents and they hated it so it kind of went by the way side. IF i could have afforded a bunch, and could have been in control of the laundry situation, I would have liked them because I wouldn't have to spend money on diapers and its better for the environment. plus you can save all of it for another baby so you'll save a TON on diapers in the long run. however they are not as absorbent as disposbal diapers
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:30 PM on May. 14, 2011

• so they were always getting the edges of the covers wet so we would run out of covers since I only had four.
    also i didn't have to deal with poop in them a lot since we didnt use them that often and at the time they were having marbly solid poops and not wet poop, but they sell these hoses you can attach to the back of your toilet so you can rinse them in the toilet. which can be a lot of work, but that depends on how much time you have in your day.
    where i live wwe have a diaper service that will pick up diapers once a week to wash and drop off new inserts/pads. I couldn't afford it but I would have loved to do that because washing them can be a pain depending on your situation. you have to use certain kinds of laundry soap because some soaps can stay in the fabric and be bad on the babies skin and some are bad for the fabric etc. you can find info about the soaps online, (sorry, i dnt have the websites anymore :/)
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:33 PM on May. 14, 2011

• I love my bumgenius diapers! They are one size, so baby can wear the same dipes from birth to potty training. My DD is almost 2 and we have the older version, the bumgenius 3.0 which only came with velcro, and the velcro does wear out. They now make the 4.0 which has the options of velcro or snaps. I'd go for the snaps! Great prices and customer service, free shipping (I'm just a happy customer, nothing more!) at: http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=98

My next option, which is a llittle less expensive, and I have a few of, are the Flip diapers (same website, you'll find them. Good general info on that site may help you decide)

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:22 AM on May. 15, 2011

• There are some cloth diapers on diapers.com. They even offer cloth swimming diapers, which are a much better bargain than buying little swimmers all the time.
    FoxyLove

Answer by FoxyLove at 12:26 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I am due in a week and a half and haven't used my cloth diapers yet, but after MUCH (probably too much) research, I have gotten a stash of Thirsties covers and prefolds to start with. A couple friends of mine use cloth diapers and both of them said that every kid is different, therefore it will be hard to know which ones will work best for your baby until you try it. I plan on trying a few different pocket diapers after I have my baby, but for now, I am planning to use the covers and prefolds, they are cheaper anyway. One friend cloth diapered her first and had pockets, all in ones etc. and with her second she said she plans to just use the covers and prefolds simply because it didn't make that much of a difference to her, and they are cheaper. I have so far ordered some of my cloth diaper stuff from diaperjunction.com and Kellyscloset.com. Both have point reward programs and they both have 30 day trials on different diapers.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 1:18 AM on May. 15, 2011

• They also offer different packages where you can try a bunch of different ones. Both websites are equally informative, I was SO overwhelmed when I started looking into cloth diapering, so it was very helpful to read all of the info online. Good luck!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 1:20 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I used tri-fold with a Bummies cover. Sadly the newborn size trifolds weren't absorbant enough, nor was doubling them up. (And I did was the tri-folds three times prior to our first use in order to condition them). Once baby is big enough for the regular size tri-folds to be used, we'll try again.

Babies who are breastfed have less smelly poo than formula fed babies, so I've never had an issue with a smelly dry bucket...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:19 PM on May. 15, 2011