Cradle cap and itchy scalp, how to control it?

My 5 months old son has cradle cap and recently I saw him scratching his head a lot. Is there anything I can put there to stop the itch? I also noticed after I comb his flaky part off his head there are some water coming out, is that normal for cradle cap?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 10:33 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cradle cap is a form of eczema, so yes watery discharge is normal. I put baby oil on my sons, and left it for about 30 minutes, put him in the tub, then washed it out. They have cradle cap kits, that have a MIT, rubber brush and cream for eczema, I got it at target and worked wonders!! If your sons is itching, try and out some hydrocortisone (.5%) on his head. It will help the itch.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:37 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Make sure to saturate the spot with lotion 1st. ( frangrance free) let it set on for about 5 minutes then comb. Eventually it will clear up, also make sure to rinse shampoo extra long..... Leaving any of it on the scalp can irritate and promote this.... Good Luck.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:39 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Olive oil works great, just slather it on and leave it for 15 minutes, then brush with a fine tooth comb. I've heard that the adult dandruff shampoos work really well (like head and shoulders, neutrogena T-Gel, selsun blue, etc.) just be careful not to get it in baby's eyes.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:43 PM on May. 14, 2011

• This worked wonders for DD. She had cradle cap really bad. We soaked her head on baby oil right before bed. Then we put a little knit hat on her so it would get all over the bed. Then we swaddled her really tight for bedtime. In the morning, all the dead skin from the cradle cap was off heed head and in her hair. I ran a fine comb through her hair a couple of times and washed her hair again. The cradle cap was completely gone!
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:02 AM on May. 15, 2011

• My pediatrician told me to use head and shoulders on my son and it cleared his up right away. Just be extra careful not to get it in the baby's eyes.
    daisypetals2000

Answer by daisypetals2000 at 1:26 AM on May. 15, 2011

• yes its nomal just rub with lotion & baby oil
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 10:30 AM on May. 15, 2011

• its normal just brush it all out.... and do not put baby oil or olive oil well that didnt help my baby at all it just made it worst!
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 6:42 PM on May. 15, 2011