Dying hair while pregnant

is it or is it not "safe" for the baby to do so? I've heard as long as you are out in the open to where the fumes aren't bad, then it's okay. and I know hormones could possibly change the color, but how radical would it be? I'm kinda considering dying my hair this summer... I want to do something to it, and I've already cut it but I feel like it needs more.

andiecheyenne

Asked by andiecheyenne at 10:49 PM on May. 14, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• everyone will tell you differently. most docs will even give you both answers. from what i have been able to understand yes, it is safe as long as (like you said) you are in a very very well ventilated area. I died my hair when i was pregnant with my first. Yes the colors can come out odd, but you can also have the issues i had and it just wont take at all. i have never had any issues with dying my hair before but while pregnant anything i tried to do to my hair just didnt work... well besides cutting it but thats kinda a duh. lol. your hormones can prevent it from soaking up the color or only soaking up hues of it. so just make sure if you do do it its well ventilated and your willing to live with the chance of it not doing what you wanted. mostly i recommend not going out and spending a bunch of money on getting it done only because it may not work right. good luck.
    mrs.miner

Answer by mrs.miner at 11:13 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Yes, it is okay.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:27 PM on May. 14, 2011

• my doc told me it wasnt a good idea. its not about the fumes, its about the chemicals soaking into your scalp and into your bloodstream. but most likely your body will try to reject it anyway and the color wont stay. most people didnt know my natural color until i got pregnant and stopped dying it lol.
    Caelynnes.Mommy

Answer by Caelynnes.Mommy at 2:36 AM on May. 15, 2011

• I've colored my hair throughout both of my pregnancies and both of my babies are just fine! The only real problem is with the hormones, your hair may take color differently than it did prior to you being pregnant. It is a good suggestion to be in a well ventilated place to do the coloring because the smells can make you sick. Hair color can be soaked into your scalp but there has been no evidence that it can hurt the baby but if you're worried about this then just get highlights, since the highlights won't be touching the scalp anyway. I was also worried about this when I got pregnant the first time but I asked my doctor and done lots of research to make sure it is ok. It will be fine.

Oh, yeah, I should add that I am having my baby in 8 days and just highlighted my hair yesterday lol.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 4:07 AM on May. 15, 2011

• ive dyed my hair every 4 weeks almost the whole preg now. im almost 28 weeks. as long as u dont use bleach, colors are ok. i use a dark brown for mine like the darkest. i get my roots done every 4 weeks at the salon. its ok as long as ur in a well open ventilated area. and arent huffing the fumes. everyone is different if you cant stand the fumes then you probably shouldnt. but im so used to it now it doesnt bother me. i wouldnt go with a lighter color since your hormones are so different and the color could respond different to your hair. always go darker. at least until your hormones are back to normal after preg. im planning on going to cosmetology school and i know enough about it. sometimes i gotta even correct my stylist. use best color treatment conditioners and shampoos. nothing cheap . also try some serum or leave in stuff for color or frizz. stay away from too much hair spray it tends to strip the color faster.
    MeehlingMommi23

Answer by MeehlingMommi23 at 1:39 AM on May. 16, 2011